General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lively
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 12:29:31
Print Post

New max rate?

[link to this post]

Well I recently looked at my line stats and basically my snr is always 11, sync is always 7616, max rate is always around 8128 but it's interleaved.
What I'm wondering is since yesterday my snr has increased to 15 and usually when it does my sync drops to around 7000, this time it has stayed at 7616 but my max rate is now around 9000.
Not knocking it but has my line randomly improved? my attenuation is 27.7 and hasn't increased so I don't think Ive been moved to 21cn, anyway heres my line stats in a better prospective

Rate: 7616 kbs 832 kbs
Max Rate: 9480 kbs 1088 kbs
Noise Margin: 15.0 dB 14.0 dB
Attenuation: 27.7 dB 18.0 dB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 12:49:53
Print Post

Re: New max rate?

[re: Lively] [link to this post]

Yes, you have been moved to the WBC/WBMC (21CN) equipment in your exchange, but with an "up to 8Mbps" (G.DMT) profile on it. Don't confuse that with IP Profile.

Most ISPs do that initially, then at some stage upgrade the customer to full ADSL2+. If you contact them you might get it done almost immediately. A very few ISPs do charge more for it though.

You would be looking at a connection speed of 17Mbps or so on ADSL2+. Over 1Mbps upload unless yours is one of those that slug it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 27-Jan-12 12:51:11)

Standard User Lively
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:23:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Even though the RFS date is 30.08.12?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:31:57
Print Post

Umm. Odd. Maybe I'm wrong. Which ISP is it? With some you can tell from your control panel if you know what you are looking for. They should be able to tell you anyway smile.

The attenuation doesn't mean much in such cases, as the G.DMT profile would keep it as before.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Lively
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 16:45:49
Print Post

It's BT, I was planning on ringing them but figured I'd get "We cant give out this information" so I didnt bother.

Just restarted my router to see if it would do anything, my snr went back down to 11 and my max rate is back at 8252 kbs :/

Edited by Lively (Fri 27-Jan-12 17:05:56)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 17:55:28
Print Post

You'll probably find if you do a restart well inside daylight hours the max rate and noise margin will both increase again. That's normal because the base noise level is lower then.

Sorry about misunderstanding the stats before.

Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 28-Jan-12 08:28:30
Print Post

Im surprised ISP's would automatically put customers on adsl2+, as you need a compatible router for that. People who arent tech savy could have problems then

What happens if you're on adsl2+ without an adsl2+ compatible router?

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 28-Jan-12 08:28:59)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jan-12 08:43:16
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

What happens if you're on adsl2+ without an adsl2+ compatible router?

Then I guess your ISP identifies this when you ring in, and advises you. There was an old router in our exchange, non ADSL2+ compatible, it worked fine but would only negotiate 8128 sync, when we eventually swapped it the new one synced at 24 meg !

A little later on in the thread, it looks like just a glitch, with 832 upstream I'd reckon the OP was still on a Max Premium service.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Jan-12 09:29:38
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Isn't Max rate a Theortetical Attainable rate on ADSL(1).? When I was on ADSL(1) I used to get a Max rate of around 10000kbps but sync was always 8128 fast path.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Jan-12 09:30:47
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Im surprised ISP's would automatically put customers on adsl2+, as you need a compatible router for that. People who arent tech savy could have problems then
Maybe you'd better ring them all then and check. I'm 99.9% sure I am right wrt the majority of ISPs and will continue to post as earlier until proven wrong smile.

As Zarjaz says, the user with an non-ADSL2+ router wouldn't see a problem. The MSAN would just negotiate down.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to