General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 14:38:47
Print Post

Lancashire superfast broadband

[link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4997-lancashire-p...

So this is basically saying if all goes to plan i will have the option of FTTC (at least, maybe FTTP) within 2 years? (unless i'm majorly unlucky and be in the 3%!).

I'm currently on a semi-rural exchange with a single LLU operator (and that was only from mid Dec) and i'm not on the current FTTC plans that i've seen on the BT spreadsheet.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCHOG
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:05:53
Print Post

Re: Lancashire superfast broadband

[re: InQ] [link to this post]

From the article it appears that ALL Lancashire exchanges will have to be enabled for FTTx to get to 97% so you could be sure the your exchange will get either FTTC or FTTP.

If you are in one of the developments away from the exchange you should get upto 80Mb.
If close to the exchange we will have to wait to see what happens to direct lines with no cab, but your speed would already be above 10-12Mb now.

If very rural, over 1km from a Cab, some other solution may be offered but may cost more (Satellite) depending on the terms the council has agreed.

Hoghton doesn't look that rural so you should be OK as it is 3% of the county that will only get 2Mb, That 3% are unlikely to have BB at all at present.

If you were on present roll-out you would NOT be included in BDUK schemes.
Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:27:57
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Well i'm 2.4km from the exchange (post code PR5 4EH, live on the main A road there) and i'm 325m from the cab (assume this feeds the estate that its outside and i'm connected to it living further along the A road). This is a cab near the pub and there is another cab further up the road towards the exchange opposite Bells Lane which i assume feeds the Methuen estate that it is outside and the surrounding houses on the main A road.
I'm 325m from the cab, this is measured direct down the road and that includes the drop wire to my house....assuming i'm on that cab near the pub but that is one of only 2 near the village and the closest to me.
My parents live directly opposite the cab on the other side of the road as do the inlaws....they'll have no problem!

Any ideas what speeds would possible at 325m on the current FTTC tech?
On ADSLMax i could sync at 8128kbps at 6dB SNR margin (so just) and on ADSL2+ LLU i can sync at circa 11mbit at 6dB.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:35:54
Print Post

I'm on FTTC at 600m from the cabinet with 40/10 sync. Expecting a little higher if I upgrade to the 80/20 product when it's available, but not a lot more.

I think most at 600m are about the same. So 325m should be rather healthy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:38:28
Print Post

People on here have reported 38Mb at that distance (Max you can get at Upto 40Mb) and possible speeds of 50-60Mb on the new profile (Future upto 80Mb product)

With 10Mb upstream!

I'm sure someone with FTTC and an unlocked Modem will post his stats for you with a similar distance.

You can look forward to a stunning speed when they roll-out, just don't get excited, you may have to wait to 2014 as they will take some time to do the whole county, starting with the enterprise areas first.
Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:54:00
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I'm patient, as i was saying i was expecting it to be 5+ years away anyway so 2 years is nothing.
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 18:35:38
Print Post

Well I live in one of the biggest towns in Lancashire and according to BT, the town (Blackpool) isnt due to get FFTC \ H until sometime in 2013.

So Im not holding my breath.

Edited by wobblyheed (Fri 27-Jan-12 18:49:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 18:47:49
Print Post

[re: wobblyheed] [link to this post]

Ah, but you have excellent broadsand.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 18:50:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ah, but you have excellent broadsand.

LOL!
Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:05:11
Print Post

[re: wobblyheed] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wobblyheed:
Well I live in one of the biggest towns in Lancashire and according to BT, the town (Blackpool) isnt due to get FFTC \ H until sometime in 2013.

So Im not holding my breath.

But the details about this county wide rollout wont be released or even in work yet i would of thought. Your looking at the existing BT rollout i would expect.
  Print Thread

Jump to