General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 18:47:35
Print Post

Telephone \ BB issues

[link to this post]

I cant find my previous thread about issues I was experiencing with my BB.

However, after a long time of putting up with frequent disconnects and slow speed I had an special BB engineer visit. Although the engineer changed some cables, rewired from the external BT box to the back of the NTE 5 and fitted a new filtered face plate, BT say he found no fault so intend to charge.

I've 'appealled' this as since the engineer changes, my speed went from around 4+ meg to over 7meg.

But, Im still getting broadband disconnects whenever there's a call made on the telephone! The strange thing is, sometimes when there's a call and the BB re synch's, the speed is faster which is great. But generally, the re synch is slower.

This is driving me nuts. The phone line provider says a BT line engineer will just disconnect my router, check there's no noise and if so, stiff me for another 200 quid or whatever.

Why are phone calls making the BB drop? When the BB engineer came out he made 3 attempts to get the router to drop the BB but sod's law applied and it stayed up!
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:00:10
Print Post

Re: Telephone \ BB issues

[re: wobblyheed] [link to this post]

Ah, found the original thread!

Tele calls affecting BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:08:09
Print Post

Previous thread?
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4070349-t...

(Two ways of fnding your posts. One, use the Search facility for your, or anyone else's, username. You have to select the By username option. Two, simpler still but useless for newcomers without many posts, is click your username in any post of yours you find. That gives the view we get of your profile, and there's an option there to show all your posts. Again, usable for any user you want to find posts from).

I've nothing to add to what said there though, sorry.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:55:27
Print Post

I'm lazy so what were the stats before the engineer visit, and what were they after?

Faults like what you describe are difficult to locate, did the provider pass on that a High Resistance fault is suspected?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 20:07:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I'm lazy so what were the stats before the engineer visit, and what were they after?

Faults like what you describe are difficult to locate, did the provider pass on that a High Resistance fault is suspected?

SNR has dropped from a static 5 to 6 db down to around 2.1db except when there's a telephone call when it will shoot up to around 9db. Line Attenuation has stayed around 55db downstream, 32db upstream.

Download speed has increased from around 4.5meg to average around 6.9 to 7.1 Meg. Again, when a tele call is received or made, synch tends to drop (except when the engineer was here!) during the call and re synchs at anything around 5meg.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-12 20:12:42
Print Post

7Meg is astounding for a 55dB line, so probably why noone is worrying about the 5Meg

Is the noise margin 2.1dB right after restarting the router, if yes, then guessing you've been put on a 3dB target and with a few phone calls and drops this will rise in time, ie. slowing down the sync to be around the 5Meg most of the time and more margin.

Raising target noise margin is usually the first thing they do rather than send out an engineer.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 20:31:45
Print Post

7Meg is astounding for a 55dB line, so probably why noone is worrying about the 5Meg

Is the noise margin 2.1dB right after restarting the router, if yes, then guessing you've been put on a 3dB target and with a few phone calls and drops this will rise in time, ie. slowing down the sync to be around the 5Meg most of the time and more margin.

Raising target noise margin is usually the first thing they do rather than send out an engineer.

Yes, 2.1db is normally after a re boot although sometimes it does drop below 2 (has been down to 1.8db).

When the engineer was here, he contacted the ISP, BE and discussed with their tech. They said they would 'push as much speed through as the line can handle) and this resulted in the speed increasing from 6.9meg to just over 7.1meg.

The engineer confirmed the straight line distance from exchange to home was 1.7km but couldnt confirm the line length I'd been told by a previous ISP of over 4.5km was correct.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-12 20:33:18
Print Post

Pushing more speed is the worst thing to do at this time, as it makes things more unstable

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 20:51:21
Print Post

Pushing more speed is the worst thing to do at this time, as it makes things more unstable
Also the default on Be is 6dB, and there is no DLM after the first few days.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jan-12 21:22:52
Print Post

Although the engineer changed some cables, rewired from the external BT box to the back of the NTE 5 and fitted a new filtered face plate, BT say he found no fault so intend to charge.

I would be asking Be to see a copy of the Openreach engineers LLU SFI 'tick sheet' and notes. They cannot be claiming no fault found if they have replaced cable and an SSFP, it's catch 22, if there was no fault, why did the replace something ?

Also, to make it clear, if Be did raise an LLU SFI2 visit, then it's them that's charging you, NOT 'BT'.

It does sound like you have an HR fault on your line. Surely if Be's tech support staff can see the disconnections, then they should be sending another SFI engineer.

Print Thread

Jump to