General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Jan-12 01:00:32
Print Post

Any info on XLN Telecom Phone & Broadband

[link to this post]

Link to XLN
A friend of mine have recently switched to them for broadband ,after being with them for the past 12ths for phone only,
From what i can find on XLN They would appear to be really bad, the broadband as far i can tell is either a white label resold bt 21cn product or possibly a C & W or tiscali (tt) llu product resold by Griffin , and they like to charge a hefty £200 cancellation fee if you don't give them 12ths notice,lol surely that can't be correct ,or legal ,can it ?
i have also read that their support staff are rude, they target people with their telemarketing campaigns that are registered with the TPS so they ignore that too

Is this just sour grapes or lies from competition or are they really one such company to be avoided

Edited by MrSaffron (Sun 29-Jan-12 12:09:06)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jan-12 02:59:06
Print Post

Re: Any info on XLN Telecom Phone & Broadband

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Did you copy that link from somewhere? Post is a little dubious as it contains an affiliate link.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Jan-12 03:39:54
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Did you copy that link from somewhere? Post is a little dubious as it contains an affiliate link.

Matt
Google search 1st result on the list ,so i dunno why it has the "?affl=xln&gclid=" bit after the address link without it
Here page looks the same ??

Edited by MrSaffron (Sun 29-Jan-12 12:09:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Jan-12 04:19:46
Print Post

Another thing my friends number is no longer checkable on the bt wholesale checker it just says it's not recognised or maybe a new number, or the worrying bit not a bt line, but it was a bt wholesale line and as far as i'm aware has always been since installation, hope they ain't fully llu'd it without informing people first if they have it would be talktalk llu and would be a right pain to switch isp & phone provider at a later date
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Jan-12 12:10:13
Print Post

referral id removed from the post

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Jan-12 12:13:54
Print Post

The checker doing what it says they are doing sounds very like full LLU and to be honest is no surprise.

Full LLU is the way that firms can do mega cheap phone and broadband line rental bundles.

Most contracts do not define the delivery technology, so leaving the firm to use whatever they wish. The better providers do provide some information on this, but often it is hidden as an 'upgrade' letter when someone is moved from WLR/SMPF to full LLU.

As for comments people are making, generally with referral driven providers you find the distinction between happy and unhappy is a very wide gulf. The referral income can also mean some people stretch things a little sometimes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Jan-12 15:57:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The checker doing what it says they are doing sounds very like full LLU and to be honest is no surprise.

Full LLU is the way that firms can do mega cheap phone and broadband line rental bundles.

Most contracts do not define the delivery technology, so leaving the firm to use whatever they wish. The better providers do provide some information on this, but often it is hidden as an 'upgrade' letter when someone is moved from WLR/SMPF to full LLU.

As for comments people are making, generally with referral driven providers you find the distinction between happy and unhappy is a very wide gulf. The referral income can also mean some people stretch things a little sometimes.

I 'm not sure how my freind go to know about them, could of been a marketing call or cold call in person to their premiss, I vaguely can remember seeing some flyer in the office laster with XLN on it some deals about phone , rental & calls,
From what my freind says the broadband is supposed to be upto 20mb ,which on the face of it says 21cn bt white lable, but reading their terms (which to me does not provide sufficient info, as a lot of key facts are not even given reference to,) I personally would not of done business with a company who expects a12mth notice to cancel without penalty they seem to be also still using the auto renewing of contracts , which i thought had been stopped as of dec 11 ? personally they seem to be operating IMO outside of the laws of this country
in particular the £200 cancellation fee, should you not give the 1yr notice in advance
That has to be wrong, i would take my chances with the county court on that every time, as i would be
1 surprised if they actually registered it in a county court

2, A county court judge finding in XLN 's favor, as that is an excessive amount by any standards
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jan-12 17:17:42
Print Post

In your opening post you said "... or possibly a C & W or tiscali (tt) llu product resold by Griffin".

C & W is LLU and so could Tiscali have been. Tiscali is now part of TalkTalk. For the line still to work but not be showing on the BT Wholesale checker it would have to be LLU.

LLU broadband is "up to 24" Mbps and doesn't need BT 21CN. If it was 21CN then the phone would definitely show up on the BT Wholesale checker.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Jan-12 17:19:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The footprint of Opal Wholesale ADSL2+ (TalkTalk to the man in the street) is greater than that of ADSL2+ from BT Wholesale

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Jan-12 17:47:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In your opening post you said "... or possibly a C & W or tiscali (tt) llu product resold by Griffin".

C & W is LLU and so could Tiscali have been. Tiscali is now part of TalkTalk. For the line still to work but not be showing on the BT Wholesale checker it would have to be LLU.

LLU broadband is "up to 24" Mbps and doesn't need BT 21CN. If it was 21CN then the phone would definitely show up on the BT Wholesale checker.
From what my freind has told me the broadband is upto 20mb, which would indicate a 21cn resold bt product, it could be they have mis sold this, as i seriously doubt my freind is aware that they are now Full llu on the opal talktalk or tiscali wholesale as all 3 are technically the same llu network,as far as i can tell,

The C&W suggestion was added because it one of the solutions that Griffin supply ,

But that was before i found that the bt number is no longer working on bt checkers

Looking at some customer reviews they make reference to opal and CPW as being the network used, one established IT business customer loosing their bt number as a result of bt bungling or and XLN after leaving XLN
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to