General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lg56xbp
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-12 21:43:36
Print Post

Help with poor download speeds

[link to this post]

Hey everyone,

I've been connected to Vivaciti's Unlimited Be package for around a week and the service has deteriorated slowly since the day of connection. It started off at almost 18MBit and now I'm lucky to get 15MBit. The connection is stable - it just sucks.

Download speeds are a joke .. bouncing from 200 kbps to 1.5MB/sec - then back again. The source is fine - my own 10GBit dedicated servers, so the problem doesn't lie there.

The speedtest below was taken tonight:

Speedtest

Should I just give up and migrate, or is there anything else I can do to improve the connection?

585 v8 Router stats:

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,253 / 16,232
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,257 / 15,060
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 18.62 / 462.13
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 13.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.5

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Jan-12 21:48:06
Print Post

Re: Help with poor download speeds

[re: lg56xbp] [link to this post]

Give up when getting 13Meg from a contended source?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jan-12 21:50:08
Print Post

What do those line stats look like if you connect the router in the test jack of the main BT telephone point ? 16 meg is a low sync rate for such a short line, and I wonder if something might be amiss with your set up ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lg56xbp
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-12 21:58:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Bizarrely, the only BT Master Socket I can find anywhere doesn't work. There is no dial tone.

13MBit isn't bad per se, but it doesn't cut it for me as I rely on the connection for work. frown

Speeds started off as expected of Be, but now they are, quite frankly, pathetic.

Any source I d/l from sees speeds jumping all over the place.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jan-12 22:03:20
Print Post

Could you describe the phone set up in your place ? How many sockets, of what type, what's connected to em, etc, etc ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Jan-12 22:04:23
Print Post

You need to get the phone wiring back to the point where just the first socket in the property is working, if its a mess this can affect both sync and throughput (due to error counts)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lg56xbp
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-12 22:13:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

There are 3/4 sockets. The only thing connected to any socket is the Thomson 585 v8.

There are no phones, no alarms, etc. Line is silent when I plug in a handset to do the BT test.

The connection is perfectly stable, but I've never experienced such variable download speeds. Any source / country I use produces poor speeds. FTP / direct / Torrents are all the same.

Almost -feels- like throttling.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 31-Jan-12 22:14:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by lg56xbp:
Bizarrely, the only BT Master Socket I can find anywhere doesn't work. There is no dial tone.

13MBit isn't bad per se, but it doesn't cut it for me as I rely on the connection for work. frown

Speeds started off as expected of Be, but now they are, quite frankly, pathetic.

Any source I d/l from sees speeds jumping all over the place.
With those attenuation figures as pointed out you should of seen the full advertised sync rate of 24mbits and the 1.4mbits upstream, that line should be capable of an upload speed of 2.5mbit or somewhere very near that without seeing much if any of a drop in downstream sync speeds

And its also unusual for the target snr to differ by 3db as they i believe should be symmetrical as it's how the BE/O2 dslams are configured,

Have you contacted Vivaciti about this , if so what have they said about it, just one other thing and reason for the low sync rates which profile is the line set to, INP1 or 2,or is it fastpath ,
Fluctuating downstream throughput if this is a correct description,

could be an indication of a few different things, from interference that is causing a high error rate,or packet loss which will in turn basically kill the throughput,

Or it could be down to the BE Backhaul from the exchange being insufficient, this would also lead to a decline in sync speeds, or the issue could be down to something within vivacity's control such as peering capacity and management of that , or their networks,i would start with asking Vivaciti why you have a naff connection
Standard User lg56xbp
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-12 22:14:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You're right, but I can't really go poking about too much as this is a rented property. frown
Standard User lg56xbp
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-12 22:22:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Absolutely.

I've just opened a new Ticket with Vivaciti and will report back when they reply.

13/14/15MBit is poor indeed for such a line.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to