General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aibreeze
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 09:27:36
Print Post

changed to LLU speed lowered

[link to this post]

Been on an adsl2 connection now for about four years and while my speed has changed a few times I generally get about 9mb download and 1mb upload as my normal speeds. Well realized my current isp now offers LLU packages with unlimited downloads at affordable prices which I jumped on. Well today my service went live and I've noticed my download speeds are now 6mb download with around 700k upload. Is this normal? Are they just testing what my line is capable of in similar fashion to how the 21cn or whatever it's called works? Not a big deal I guess but a little annoyed to see my speeds decreased.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 09:47:15
Print Post

Re: changed to LLU speed lowered

[re: aibreeze] [link to this post]

We need to know who you were with and who with and what package now. Different providers do different things in the first few days of a connection.

21CN is completely the opposite of LLU. More properly called WBC, I explain what 21CN is on this page. I also have a What is LLU? page. I hope those help smile.

If you can find and post your line stats, see here for how to find them if you don't know, then someone will be able to tell you a lot more about your line, and perhaps see what is wrong.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 01-Feb-12 10:49:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Bob,

Would the possible increased attenuation due to the change from adsl2 to adsl2+ on a longish line be a cause for a drop in sync speeds?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 11:15:40
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Bob,

Would the possible increased attenuation due to the change from adsl2 to adsl2+ on a longish line be a cause for a drop in sync speeds?
It can do, but his line isn't long enough for a drop as significant as he is reporting. At 9Mbps sync or throughput I would expect a sync and throughput increase.

I wouldn't be sure he really means ADSL2 anyway. It could have been ADSL2+.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User aibreeze
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 13:59:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah I meant ADSL2+

I'm with ADSL24 was on their office 45 adsl2+ package now on their C&W LLU package.

My line stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6496 kbps 1024 kbps
Line Attenuation 39 db 12 db
Noise Margin 9 db 8 db

I think they're fiddling with the settings at the moment as my connection download speed has dropped by over 1mb and my upload speed has been upped from 800k. Not sure how far exactly my exchange is but there is a huge BT place about a mile away and I live on a road off my high street so I assume the exchange is close.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 14:30:59
Print Post

Two things show up in the stats.

The noise margin of 9dB, if it is the same on a reconnection, is I think the default setting for a C & W connection. The Office 45 default is 6dB, and the 3dB makes a difference of 700-1200kbps on ADSL2+.

Also it is possible the new BT DLM had lowered the Enta one to 3dB, giving another boost.

The second thing is that on 39dB attenuation I would have expected 11Mbps+ connection on the 6dB setting. That might just about have given you your previous 9Mbps throughput, but on the 3dB setting it would have been expected or bettered.

I wonder if you have a minor wiring problem. Have you ever checked the ring wire, or the things in the Miscellaneous nasties on the menu there.

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Feb-12 21:48:52
Print Post

Yes, the SNR is 9dB on C&W so that may account for a very slight change in downstream. Do you have a broadcom based router, if so you can tweak the SNR to gain more from the line.

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 03-Feb-12 10:44:27
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

I found that reducing the snr from 9 to 6 on C&W gave me bad lag in games. strange that i never had this problem with bt with a 6 snr.
It does not effect downloads or browsing but shows bad jitter when i reduce it
  Print Thread

Jump to