General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Feb-12 18:49:31
Print Post

EMail hosting

[link to this post]

I'm reviewing my systems at the moment and am reconsidering whether I want to run my own email server. Does anyone know of an email hosting service that:

1)Supports wildcards in aliases (ie;*.something@ -> mainaccount@)
2)Preferrably supports blacklisting.

?

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 19:06:48
Print Post

Re: EMail hosting

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

?
Have I been under a misapprehension all these years? If you run your own mail server, why do you need a third-party host?

Re *.something@, they all obviously support *@. I'll do a test right now...

Well I have just sent joe.soap@<personal account> from RobertoS, and it arrived OK. But that is using catch-all rather than named aliases.

The two hosts I have used, PurpleCloud and Tsohost, support blacklists and whitelists. Which reminds me I need to whitelist someone as they send cryptic emails that get greylisted, which is a pain as they can take days to arrive.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Feb-12 19:25:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Have I been under a misapprehension all these years? If you run your own mail server, why do you need a third-party host?
You don't - however I'm reviewing whether I want to continue running my own server.
Re *.something@, they all obviously support *@. I'll do a test right now...

Well I have just sent joe.soap@<personal account> from RobertoS, and it arrived OK. But that is using catch-all rather than named aliases.
Yah, that's not good enough. I'm doing it to prevent spam so I don't want catch-all. I only want things that match a template to be forwarded.

There's dozens of <random name>@<my domain> hitting my server every day but they all get binned on arrival. In fact I imagine that the server never stores them since it blacklists based on RCPT TO. However I don't get something.<random>@<my domain> because it doesn't occur to spammers (yet smile ) to do that. In any case it effectively makes it difficult for them because I can always change <something> and now they have a far worse problem. They'd need to generate <random one thing>.<random another thing>@<my domain> to annoy me smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 01-Feb-12 19:27:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 21:54:45
Print Post

I'll set up a named alias and remove catchall on one of my domains at Tsohost, and see what happens. It may be Friday I'm afraid, unless I trigger myself tonight. Tomorrow is largely out.

I'm fairly sure it will work.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-12 07:33:13
Print Post

I'll set up a named alias and remove catchall on one of my domains at Tsohost, and see what happens. It may be Friday I'm afraid, unless I trigger myself tonight. Tomorrow is largely out.

I'm fairly sure it will work.
Thank you. Definitely of interest since my mail server appears to be terminally failed at the moment. Seems to just reset after an hour. Nothing whatsoever in the event logs. Interestingly when it resets (which I've not yet actually seen with my own eyes) it ends up sat at the BIOS screen saying 'No operating system found'. Another manual reset at that point and it boost fine. It was getting too late last night to play any more but I'm wondering if the SSD is failing and it's set to reboot rather than BSOD. That might explain the problem.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-12 08:31:09
Print Post

ROFL!

I was chatting to our hardware engineer and as well as slagging off all SSDs as unreliable he suggested I check for a firmware update for mine. Here's what I found:

"Release Date: 01/13/2012
Change Log:
Changes made in version 0009 (m4 can be updated to revision 0309 directly from either revision 0001, 0002, or 0009)
Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive.
This firmware update is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for drives in the field. Although the failure mode due to the SMART Power On Hours counter poses no risk to saved user data, the failure mode can become repetitive, and pose a nuisance to the end user. If the end user has not yet observed this failure mode, this update is required to prevent it from happening.
If you are using a SAS Expander please do not download this Firmware. As soon as we have a Firmware Update that will work in these applications we will release it."

I bought that drive on the 24th of June which means it had been running for around 220 days which is about 5200 hours. The machine now fails approximately every hour. I think there's a conclusion to be drawn here laugh

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 02-Feb-12 08:31:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 08:35:37
Print Post

Indeed. Possibly a vague, remote, improbable, inconclusive suggestion there smile.

I assume you haven't got a SAS Expander.

I'll still have a go at testing the *.alias though. Just for interest.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 08:35:39
Print Post

Re: EMail hosting *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-12 09:09:48
Print Post

Indeed. Possibly a vague, remote, improbable, inconclusive suggestion there smile.

I assume you haven't got a SAS Expander.
Nope, 64GB SSD.
I'll still have a go at testing the *.alias though. Just for interest.
Please do - it's still something I'm interested in. It's the second time time in a week I've had server issues (and could well be related ( http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/t/4085684-a... )) so it's brought home to me how irritating it is to lose my mail server. Plus - if I'm not running a mail server I probably don't need a static IP address. Oh and my domain is due for renewal in March so changing provider might make sense.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 10:18:27
Print Post

I think mine is doing something like what you want, but just checking an anomaly in my own setup with Tsohost.

Can we just clarify the target system?

You want aaa.bbb@domain. Which is the one you wish to be fixed, aaa or bbb or neither, and what will you give the person you want to email to you? fred.bbb@domain or aaa.fred.domain? "fred" being the alias set up on the host. Or can simple fred be a mailbox but blacklisted?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to