General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 12:23:26
Print Post

Kaspersky problems

[link to this post]

Kaspersky has a major problem involving licence renewals. It decides that licence is invalid and turns itself off leaving users without protection.

Mine sorted itself after restart but it seems many users are affected. http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=22813...
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-12 12:52:14
Print Post

Re: Kaspersky problems

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Ditch payware and get MSSE.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 12:52:44
Print Post

When renewing mine recently, the license time had expired but the program ran fine until it tried to update the definitions. It seems the update facility triggers the expiry, which then triggers 'no protection'. Don't like the way Kaspersky forces a renewal if license has expired.

Maybe disabling the update facility near expiry date is a short fix.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 13:28:21
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Fair point, how do others find MS Essentials? I do like KIS and don't mind paying for it. Not their crazy price of course, I paid under £20 for three-user licence, £6 each for a year is good value and it has stopped several nasties that I know of.
Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:13:56
Print Post

I use Comodo security software (www.comodo.com) - it's free and also had a pretty good write-up recently in one of the computer mags.

Regards,

Felix
Standard User TrishaH
(member) Fri 03-Feb-12 00:21:23
Print Post

Yes, mine stopped working this morning too for the same reason.
I was unsure what to do, so emailed for advice. Got a reply within a very short time with instructions to fix it - very easy too.
Apparently it was a bug in an update which they rolled back on their servers and fixed it before any more updates.

I opted for auto renewal with KIS2012, and do sometimes get a slight problem which is easily fixed by clicking on the update licence button. No doubt they'll fix that for future licenses.

I've used Kaspersky for years now and wouldn't change as I've very little experience of dealing with viruses etc. I've very rarely had any problems with either the programme or 'nasties', and their response to any queries is always rapid and totally helpful.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 03:04:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
.... how do others find MS Essentials....

A machine I looked at on Friday had six active trojans, a load of adware and a rootkit to boot. MSE was sat there assuring me that there were no problems.

I use KIS across several machines and have ten days left on three of them. I've seen no problems at all. I don't know if it makes any difference but I've stuck to KIS 2010.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 09:01:31
Print Post

After trying the lot, I have stuck with the superb KIS for years, I am now running something that seems to be far better alongside it to test for the last couple of months in the for of Webroot anywhere complete. It is cloud based and scans in about 90 seconds, does not conflict with other software if you want to run them side by side to test. The complete is the most expensive version, but it can be found quite cheap and is finding things that KIS 2012 misses. You can find a trial here.
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-trials.html
Review here
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/review/2119617/we...

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2027/plusnetspeed.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
(member) Mon 06-Feb-12 10:14:52
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

It does seem that AV programme #1 will miss nasties that will show up on AV programme #2 and vice versa. Over the years I've seen several come and go from the top spot. I like KIS but better stuff is always on the way.

By the way, Kaspersky support is totally useless and the users' forum is excellent, http://forum.kaspersky.com/ I think KIS supports the forum if not its customers!

Forum experts advise that (1) you always update to the latest issue, currently 12.0.0.374 (2) don't overwrite your existing installation, remove it and clean-install the new one.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 10:25:26
Print Post

I always clean install the latest KIS trial, then buy a one or two year old version cheap off Ebay and whack it's key in, Got a 5 PC 2011 off Ebay this year for £9.99.
I have yet to see KIS spot anything that Webroot Anytime Complete has missed, but plenty the other way, in fact all KIS has done visibly for the last year or two for me is block certain sites it deems suspect.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2027/plusnetspeed.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to