General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowen
(newbie) Sun 05-Feb-12 13:20:15
Print Post

Best broadband for old house with knackered phone line?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in an old Edwardian house (>100 years old), with a very dodgy old phone line (probably installed just after WWII). The phone line itself crackles while making calls, and the ADSL is limited to about 10Mbps. Frankly I am amazed it gets that high given the quality of the line - probably because the exchange is about half a mile away.
BT of course insist that there is nothing wrong with the line.

Anyway, Virgin Media have recently been round and installed a FTTC system on our road, and there are also Openreach vans driving round, suggesting a similar system from BT is on its way.

I have heard bad things about Virgin Media before, and we don't really need cable TV, since freeview will be going HD here soon anyway with the switchover.
Also, I don't know if BT are planning a FTTP system? Apparently BT Infinity will be available soon, but I'm not sure if that's FTTP or FTTC, and if it's FTTC will it still use the existing, cruddy phone line?

Also, will an FTTP system replace the phone line entirely - i.e. will calls be routed over the fibre?

So should I wait for Infinity, switch to Virgin, or do something else entirely?
Cheers
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 05-Feb-12 13:27:09
Print Post

Re: Best broadband for old house with knackered phone line?

[re: bowen] [link to this post]

We may be able to tell you whether the BT offering will be FTTC or FTTP if you post, (or PM, private message from My Home) your post code.

Re the phone line crackling, that should be fixable. I don't suppose it has a master socket like this has it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Feb-12 13:29:06
Print Post

VIrgin Media doing new roads is rare, but generally there service is OK apart from areas with lots of heavy users on it.

What are you line stats from the existing modem? Old copper is not that bad a thing, and sometimes the older/thicker wiring is actually better.

BT has a FTTP system, but only in some areas, but see www.thinkbroadband.com for news about a much wider FTTP availability i.e. where ever FTTC is an option, if you pay the cost for installing (but from 2013)

For FTTP they've also announced the calls over fibre service too in the last week.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowen
(newbie) Sun 05-Feb-12 15:30:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys,

My post code is SO15 5xx. If you need more precision I can PM, but I think that will be sufficient.
The master socket doesn't seem to have any sort of detatchable faceplate - no BT markings on it at all, just looks like a normal socket. I don't here any extra crackle on the line if I wiggle the connector in the socket either.
If it isn't the ivy-covered telegraph pole or the wiring under the road then I wonder if it might be the wiring in the house - there's an old plastic terminal block where the line enters the house, which is then wired down to the master socket in the hallway. From there there's another extension wire that goes about 8m to where the router (and the nearest mains socket) is.

As for line stats - modem is reporting the following:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,118 / 11,672
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.5 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.5 / 9.5
Currently on Be, for my ISP btw.

In any case, FTTP with a calls over fibre service would be much better. Do you know if the calls service Virgin Media provide goes over the new infrastructure or the same old phone lines?

The other advantage that I have heard of using BT's FTTC/FTTP as opposed to Virgin say, is that other ISPs can use it, and not just BT.
Also, if I went with Virgin I might be locked into a long contract and be gnashing my teeth when BT come along with FTTP 6 months later!
Standard User btbert
(member) Sun 05-Feb-12 15:43:40
Print Post

try dailling 17070 then 2 and see if you have noise on your line if so just report it as a noisy line fault ( not a BB fault )

they will likely tell you your line is testing ok and you "may" have to pay £### but if the noise is on the line then you "should not " have to pay.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

Edited by btbert (Sun 05-Feb-12 15:44:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:36:25
Print Post

Yes, we need the exact post code please.

Two codes there are exchange only, which at the moment means no FTTC or FTTP, and there are many others some of which are scheduled and others not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Feb-12 17:59:41
Print Post

Do you know if the calls service Virgin Media provide goes over the new infrastructure or the same old phone lines?

Virgin Media send broadband done a piece of coax cable to your home, and have their own copper phone line along with it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-12 18:02:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowen:
...and the ADSL is limited to about 10Mbps.
Poor you! tongue
Many people (including me) would dream of that!

My parents house is around 300 years old and they manage to connect at their maximum 20CN Market 1 '8128' as they are also close to their exchange.

I'm trying to say that the age of your property doesn't have an impact of your ADSL connection smile

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Feb-12 19:46:57
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by btbert:
try dialling 17070 then 2 and see if you have noise on your line if so just report it as a noisy line fault ( not a BB fault )
Do this with modem disconnected. Then if there is any noise on voice BT should fix it free and probably regularise your socket to a modern NTE5 master.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 12:13:23
Print Post

I would be another one to advise you report your phone line, it should not crackle, but make sure you disconnect all ADSL equipment, if there is still noise then report it as a voice fault, once you get this bit sorted your broadband will be much easier to get improved either by just getting a clear line or for someone to advise on the best product, but you should have a clear line as a starting point at best.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to