General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User latchy
(newbie) Sun 05-Feb-12 15:53:15
Print Post

Download speed

[link to this post]

Hi All,
I am about to move from talk talk to BT, my projected speed from our exchange according to BT is between 6 and 8 mb(14mb after 29/06/2012) with BT total broadband package.
Yet my speeds with talktalk have been averaging about 10mb recently according to TB speed tests. I am wondering why I am apparently getting faster speed with TT than BT say my line is capable of.
(leaving TT due to customer service issues!)
Also currently using belkin n1 f5d8631-4 (have had for ages), is the home hub 3 a better bit of kit?
Thanks in anticipation for your assistance to my first post
latchy
Standard User epyon
(committed) Sun 05-Feb-12 15:59:26
Print Post

Re: Download speed

[re: latchy] [link to this post]

Talktalk you're using is LLU which allows upto 24mbps
BT you're switching to is only using upto 8Mbps equipment
Most likely after 29/06/2012 you're line will be moved onto the upto 24Mbps equipment.

BE*Unlimited 18452/1408Kbps @ 3db INP1

Edited by epyon (Sun 05-Feb-12 15:59:58)

Standard User latchy
(newbie) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:07:49
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

thanks epyon, i noticed when i looked at the exchange info page that tt were the only isp enabled but i didnt realise they would get higher speeds than bt.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shrimper1
(member) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:29:57
Print Post

If it's any help to you, I persevered with Orange for ages, as we got a good deal thru' my son's mobile contract. However in the end, after FOUR different routers, THREE visits by BT Openreach, I then decided to pay about 20% more a month for my Broadband, but the end product has been absolutely worth it! Also got reduced phone rental & free calls package for a six month period.
One thing you mention is the "Hub"; their latest version (small, slimline piece of kit) has drawn nothing but praise from my mature son. He volunteered, without me asking, a few months ago .......... how did the reception/speed compare upstairs on his state of the art laptop (via dongle)? - he responded that it was consistently a 100% better than anything we had previously. I had to go and have a sit down afterwards, 'cos a response is rare, but praise; well it was the equivalent of a rare comet flashing across the heavens!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:32:17
Print Post

LLU providers have their own hardware in the exchange and TalkTalk has been offering ADSL2+ for some years.

BT is still rolling out its ADSL2+ service to exchanges that already offer ADSL.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User latchy
(newbie) Sun 05-Feb-12 18:43:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for the replys guys very informative indeed, these comets are worth their weight
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Thu 09-Feb-12 15:31:37
Print Post

Hi All,

If any customers have a support request please contact us directly via the TalkTalk Members Forum

Alternatively you can also tweet us @TalkTalkCare

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to