General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User abandonhope
(newbie) Mon 06-Feb-12 20:25:24
Print Post

Virgin line rental

[link to this post]

Deciding to give up with useless, uncaring BT broadband & looking at what's available Virgin look pretty good ( the very fastest we get is 1.1 Mbs)
Question is if I take out a Virgin package which says I also require line rental does that replace the existing BT line rental or is it in addition.
I cannot phone questions as the phone isn't working though broadband still is (after a fashion)
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 20:54:02
Print Post

Re: Virgin line rental

[re: abandonhope] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by abandonhope:
Deciding to give up with useless, uncaring BT broadband & looking at what's available Virgin look pretty good ( the very fastest we get is 1.1 Mbs)
Question is if I take out a Virgin package which says I also require line rental does that replace the existing BT line rental or is it in addition.
I cannot phone questions as the phone isn't working though broadband still is (after a fashion)
Hi, I reckon itís best to start by looking at what is available from your exchange, to find which is your exchange use the Samknows website you input your postcode. Then click on your exchange name to see what services are available from that exchange.

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Mon 06-Feb-12 21:27:36)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 06-Feb-12 21:00:37
Print Post

If your phone is not working, have you reported a fault?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 21:14:31
Print Post

Hi,

I tend to find that broadband on it's own with VM costs less than that with phone. Our service is £40 a month for 3 months and then £45 a month.. Which is fine..

It's £35 + £13.50 with the phone line.. So together it's about £3 a month more. Don't need a phone line and luckily with VM don't need one either smile

Go for it!

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 06-Feb-12 21:15:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Feb-12 21:17:06
Print Post

Dont sign up for the Virgin National (ADSL) services.

Virgin cable broadband telephone service if available in your area is totally virgin based, does not touch BT.

To make it simple if Virgin is NOT offering you the option of a 50Meg service then don't signup with them

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 22:09:15
Print Post

So ring up your telephone voice provider, and have them get the fault fixed. This will doubtless make partially working broadband, work better.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Feb-12 01:12:59
Print Post

As has been said, Virgin cable perhaps. Virgin ADSL over your existing phone line is a no-no.

If your broadband is going even slower than usual, and the phone doesn't work at all, then one wire of the pair has become disconnected or broken somewhere between you and the exchange.

Report a voice fault and say as little as you can about the broadband. Fixing that will fix the broadband. (Phone needs both wires, broadband can hobble along on one).

Changing ISP as things are has a high chance of being a disaster.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 07-Feb-12 01:16:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Feb-12 01:18:43
Print Post

... as the phone isn't working though broadband still is (after a fashion)
Is that using the test socket inside the master socket? Have you tried that? It is best to confirm it fails there as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User abandonhope
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 08:08:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice, I've actually tested everything going our slow speed is down to being in a rural area. there are 9 other dwellings who share the same postcode over an area of approx 1/2 sq mile & over the years they have all gone on-line. Every time each one does the speed has slowed down.
The fault is with the Hub & Hub-phone but despite all my efforts to get BT to try and address the problem they insist in phoning me despite me requesting that they use email. I cannot use a mobile as we have no signal here and the old 'plug in' type phone we have doesn't ring & the phone socket is upstairs, away from the computer and I cannot get to it being disabled.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 07-Feb-12 13:30:17
Print Post

Well plug the phone into the same socket as the Hub and answer it there. If it does not ring then either your phone is faulty or the line is faulty - to rectify that, firstly get a new handset and make sure it works and then if the problem remains, report a voice circuit fault - as has been suggested several times already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to