General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-12 00:02:19
Print Post

had an email from my ISP ref 21cn

[link to this post]

Just had the following 2 mails from my ISP, I am currently on MAX at 4.5m/0.5m.
My understanding was that once 21cn upgrading is done it is possible to stay on MAX. Is there any reason not to move to ADSL2 assuming it is possible to stay on MAX? At 48db I dont think there will be a massive improvement in synch. Also, my ISP seems to offer two ADSL2 packages in my price range (£18.90 and £19.90), I dont understand the difference other than one says upto 12meg and one says upto 24meg. At my line lenth I doubt I would get any more than 6 or 7 so whats technical difference?
TBH- https://adsl24.co.uk/broadband/home/
---
We are pleased to advise you that your line will soon be upgraded to the BT 21CN platform.
The provisional completion date of this 21CN upgrade is 23rd Feb 2012.
Once this upgrade has completed you will be able to regrade your service to the ADSL2+ frequency, potentially offering higher speeds at no extra cost.
---
Two hours later
---
We are pleased to advise you that your line now has a committed date to be upgraded to the BT 21CN platform.
The committed completion date of this 21CN upgrade is 23rd Feb 2012.
Once this upgrade has completed you will be able to regrade your service to the ADSL2+ frequency, potentially offering higher speeds at no extra cost.
---

(sensei) Wed 08-Feb-12 00:39:48
Print Post

Re: had an email from my ISP ref 21cn

[re: chrimbow] [link to this post]

smile
It will help if you read my What is LLU? page, and then my WBC/WBMC/IPSC page.

I assume you are on one of their "Standard" packages now. You cannot avoid the change to an ADSL2+ connection, but once that has taken place ADSL24 can adjust the settings to simulate ADSL Max. I suggest you just suck it and see before doing anything. I expect a slight increase in download and a considerable increase in upload speeds.

Your only alternative on that exchange is the Phone and Broadband LLU ADSL2+ Packages, where the price includes your phone line rental as well as the broadband. That is already available to you.

The 12Mbps product, and all the others in that section of the website, are not available in Colwyn Bay. They are Be and C & W based, LLU as explained in the first link above, and those companies are not present there.

I hope that helps.

(When discussing this with anyone it is best at this stage to talk about ADSL2+, not ADSL2. The two are fundamentally different so people could misunderstand you).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-12 09:37:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks smile
Sky have LLU at my exchange, performance wise what is likely to be give best connection speeds- LLU or 21cn?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-12 09:47:28
Print Post

About the same; they are both ADSL2+.

Sky seem to restrict their connections more, employing higher margins. So on a good line WBC is likely to give higher speeds.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 12-Feb-12 14:17:25
Print Post

Hi Paul, colwyn bay. Just come back from holidays and thought, funny, my broadband seems a lot quicker
Now showing 18 MB/s
I am v happy but not heard a dickie bird from BT

Maybe it's already been upgraded?

paul
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 21:58:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well, had the switch over today, attenuation has dropped by 1db, target margin is the the same at 6db but strangely the sync has dropped slightly to 5300 (usually 6k ishgiving me a 5k profile) and upstream has gone to 832k

My ISP are telling me I can regrade to their ADSL2+ products (what am I classed as currently?), not sure I see any benefit ATM

"We are pleased to advise you that your line has now been upgraded to the BT 21CN platform.

You are now able to regrade your service to the ADSL2+ frequency which potentially offers higher speeds at no extra cost.

Should you wish to regrade to ADSL2+ you can do so by raising a ticket or by contacting us, however please remember that you will need an ADSL2+ compatible router."

I have a Netgear 834GT, Ive just read a few threads here and it seems unclear if it will support ADSL2+/ADSL2

(sensei) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:21:33
Print Post

Yes it will. Might be an idea to check its firmware is up to date.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:45:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, will have to have a think about what to do. Not sure I see the point of changing product at the moment.
Any idea why my sync has dropped? at 6db target margin I usually connected at 6k-ish. I usually use DMT to raise it slightly to give me a bit more elbow room without stepping down a profile. Without any intervention from DMT I now get 5300k

(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 23:12:48
Print Post

Hi

Paul, here, just off coed pella road so not too far from main exchange

My Internet speed has increased today (it was really erratic last night) but I was advised by BT that the upgrade was due April 30th
ISP is BT but heard nothing from them to date but, very happy with increased service
regards

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Feb-12 23:24:30
Print Post

Sync may change depending on how your router likes the new hardware in the exchange. Plus a small change will have been made to the wiring.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to