General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tsb3
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 17:27:35
Print Post

A few basic hardware questions...

[link to this post]

Hello

In my house, we have two phone sockets, one upstairs and one downstairs. In the past we've just had a phone upstairs, and tel/adsl splitter into a second phone and a computer downstairs.

Now I'm looking to change this to have tel/adsl upstairs, and tel/adsl downstairs, so how would I go about this? Basically I want to be able to use both the internet and the phone upstairs and downstairs.

I tried putting the splitter in upstairs in the short term, but when connected to the internet the phone downstairs 'hisses'. Am I right in assuming that the splitter has to be connected downstairs, and I would have to run a cable upstairs? I don't want to use a wireless connection for security reasons.

As is no doubt obvious, my technical knowledge is rather limited, so please bear with me if this all seems obvious.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Feb-12 18:12:33
Print Post

Re: A few basic hardware questions...

[re: tsb3] [link to this post]

What are you plugging into the ADSL side of the filter to give you internet?

It sounds like you may be trying to connect two ADSL modems at the same time, you cannot do that. What you want to use if not wireless, is an Ethernet cable plugged into a LAN port on your existing router. Thus you leave the ADSL modem where it is now, and just run an Ethernet cable to the other computer.

If a cable is difficult to run around the house look at HomePlug devices, that can use your mains wiring to get the signal around.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tsb3
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 19:58:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All that is plugged in to the ADSL side of the filter is a simple one computer modem that has no features aside from plugging the phone side into one end and the computer usb connection in the other.

I'm not trying to connect two ADSL modems, I only have the one. I imagine that I will need a new router or modem of some kind to allow me to use the internet upstairs and downstairs at the same time?

I think a cable is probably feasible, it would only need to run for 20m or so around the back of the room.

What would be the downside to HomePlug devices?

Thank you so much for your time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 20:04:02
Print Post

Do you mean you want to be able to access the internet at both places at the same time, or just one at a time?

As it is at the moment, you mention you have a splitter downstairs. Do you mean a dangly filter? If you do, is the phone upstairs plugged in through one of those as well, or straight into the socket?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Feb-12 20:08:47
Print Post

HomePlug more expensive than a cable.

Your provider may be able to supply a modem/router to replace the USB one. Even if it has wireless you can turn that off, plus a router improves security,as it hides your machines better from the internet. Currently you are reliant on the software running on your PC, i.e.a weak link

As for the hiss, some more digging into how the sockets are wired up may reveal it. Do you have a master socket with a removeable faceplate?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tsb3
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 18:46:42
Print Post

Terribly sorry, I was wrong about the hiss. I think I must have unplugged one of the splitters by accident when I tested it. I tested it again and it's fine.

RobertoS:
I would like to be able to access it at both places at the same time. I can already access one at a time by taking the computer and plugging it in upstairs.
I do mean a dangly filter. The phone upstairs is plugged in through the same type of filter. I have no problem using the phone upstairs and the internet downstairs at the same time as it is, or the internet upstairs and the phone downstairs.

MrSaffron:
Is there any loss of security or reliability in using HomePlug?
My utmost coincidence, my provider today randomly sent me an Orange Bright Box router. I assume this would suffice, but I am concerned about the wireless feature and whether it actually would be fully disabled or if someone could still hack in or something. Anyway, would I simply need to run ethernet cables to the two computers to use the internet simultaniously?

Thank you both.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-12 19:07:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by tsb3:
I am concerned about the wireless feature and whether it actually would be fully disabled or if someone could still hack in or something.
You can disable wireless, if you like, from Basic set-up / Wireless Settings.

But why bother; just save yourself running Ethernet all over the house? At least give it a try.

Just set it to WPA2 Mode and choose a long hard password.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-12 20:02:13
Print Post

use the router,
even if its wireless were compromised, 'they' would have no more access to your data than the entire planet currently has via your usb modem...
Standard User tsb3
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-12 19:21:08
Print Post

Okay, I'll read up on wireless and then give it a go.

Thank you everyone for your help.
  Print Thread

Jump to