General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rugbynutrichard
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 10:51:30
Print Post

Using a BT2700 HGV as a Repeater/WAP

[link to this post]

I want to use a second BT2700HGV as a repeater - I hope repeater is the right phrase ! My broadband line comes in to an existing 2700HGV (2006) but because of thick walls, the wireless signal doesn't get all around the house. I want to connect a second 2700hgv (2007) using an ethernet cable to repeat the signal about 20 metres away in the loft. In another thread it was indicated this is 'easy' ? Can you confirm and advise please. My skill & knowledge of configuring wireless is almost zero but I can follow simple clear instructions

Thanks in anticipation

Richard
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Feb-12 10:57:10
Print Post

Re: Using a BT2700 HGV as a Repeater/WAP

[re: Rugbynutrichard] [link to this post]

Absolutely NO problems whatsoever.

Firstly, can you get the firmware for both devices. There are some minor differences which I can guide you through. At present I have 5 2700s set up as WAPs here.

Also, what IP address does the main 2700 use and what DHCP range is set.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 10-Feb-12 10:58:31)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-12 11:26:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I have a pair set up this way and it works really well. The gateway unit runs BT v6.3.9.63 firmware, the "repeater" unit is running Qwest firmware QT04-6.1.5.48

I find the qwest interface a lot cleaner although it doesn't generate the same detail in stats but for the repeater that doesn't matter

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
VP status Yellow - About time BTw rewarded us for our over priced 8 meg crawl with some investment!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Feb-12 11:32:56
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Given the OPs comment:
My skill & knowledge of configuring wireless is almost zero but I can follow simple clear instructions

And that he has 2006/07 units then there is a good chance one will have v4 firmware and the other could have v5 or v6. The pages, are different, and to take him through the set-up it will be easier if the details are known.

M H C

(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:29:49
Print Post

From my existing 2700hgv, I pulled this information: Hardware version 2701-100588-005
Firmware version 6.3.9.63-plus.tm. Where do I find the Firmware information for the second 2700 which is still in the box ?

Where do I find the DHCP range ?

Thanks for the response

Richard
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:39:57
Print Post

Go to: Home/xslt?PAGE=C_2_3 for the DHCP range.

For te second Hub.

Power it up - but with NOTHING connected.

Disconnect your PC from the first - by removing the cable or turning wireless off.

Connect an Ethernet cable from the PC to the second hub.

Then use the <Windows> key and <R> at the same time.

In the box type CMD and then enter

A new window should open and type in: ipconfig /renew and enter

Open your browser and go to: HOME (just type that in te address bar) and it should bring up the 2700 pages ... and then find te firmware the same way as before - if it is a 2006 unit it may look different.

Disconnect from te Hub, reconnect your other Hub and you may need to do an ipconfig/renew again.

M H C

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-12 15:05:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rugbynutrichard:
From my existing 2700hgv, I pulled this information: Hardware version 2701-100588-005
Firmware version 6.3.9.63-plus.tm. Where do I find the Firmware information for the second 2700 which is still in the box ?

Where do I find the DHCP range ?

Thanks for the response

Richard
Hi Richard, for the correct terminology, the 2Wire 2700HGV wireless router cannot be used as a wireless repeater, but can be used as the wireless access point.
A wireless repeater is not connected to the main router with Ethernet cable it connects by wireless and then repeats that wireless signal onwards. wink

To configure the DHCP in your 2Wire 2700HGV router go > http://192.168.1.254 > Home Network > Advanced Settings.

The links will help you configure your other 2Wire 2700HGV router to convert to a wireless access point…

http://i.dslr.net/pics/faqs/image93081.jpg

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/static-ip-addre...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Feb-12 15:37:57
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

That really will confuse him.

Using a 2700(v6) there is no Home Network Tab and secondly no Advanced settings tab either. And you cannot assume that the router is at 192.168.1.254 either

I have already posted the CORRECT page link.

M H C

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-12 16:46:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
That really will confuse him.

Using a 2700(v6) there is no Home Network Tab and secondly no Advanced settings tab either. And you cannot assume that the router is at 192.168.1.254 either

I have already posted the CORRECT page link.
Hi, oh well, he’ll just have to figure it out and ignore my info on configuring the router, but the links will be useful.

I have a job keeping up with the different firmware’s, I know users get mixed up with describing the hardware types and firmware versions. The default address for the 2700HGV routers I have used has always been 192.168.1.254 and this should be changed for security.

Hardware 2701 http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=765

Hardware 2700 http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=766

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
(newbie) Thu 07-Jun-12 10:08:24
Print Post

Good morning and thanks for the previous replies. Having learned that it is perfectly possible to use a second BT 2700 HGV as a WAP, I have now run 20m of Ethernet cable round the house and into the hall where I want the Wireless Access Point located. As you are aware, the intention is to use this ethernet cable to link the primary Voyager 2700 in my office, to the second Voyager 2700 in the hall.

Following your instructions, I ascertained the following from the "Details" page of the second BT Voyager 2700HGV.

Hardware: 2701-100589-005
Software: 5.29107.12

I note the new 2700 system used the phrase "Software" whereas on my existing 2700 used the phrase "Firmware". I assume this makes no difference ?

Is this sufficient information ?

Thanks
Richard
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to