General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 05:30:07
Print Post

test socket / no dialtone after i 'mended' it

[link to this post]

Tonight, while trying to squeeze a little more than half a meg down, rather than my more usual 6 or so mb, (because Eclipse has yet another outage this week) - i remembered that last outage i removed the front of the master socket, to reveal the test socket and was still using that.

tonight I just wanted to remove the ringer wire originally , but it looks like i'd have to take the whole box off the wall and mess with BT's wiring into the main box from the drop. which i wont do.
so i contented myself as i removed all wires going to the half-size front plate instead, except the 2 blue & whites, pins (2+5). i think these just went under the floorboards to the front room extension socket, as the drop wires seen to come in at the extreme back of the BT socket, from outside i guess.

whilst i was there i tried wiring up my extension for the front room, which i unwired from the NTE on yet another previous outage, i got it all back together ok, front panel on,but on either socket now, there's no ringtone. cant make a call. phone was working earlier today. the router connects easily. speed is up a little too, earlier down Noise Margin was 9.8 db and now its 6.8 db, so thats better ?

A for the phone, i plugged in the filter with the fone, then with the router, and swapped to the test socket again, as then put it back ait was previously wired, and there's still no dial tone. even directly plugging the fone into the test socket still gave
no dialtone. i'm really scratching my head on this one.

- time to change ISPs anyway..
apologies for the long-winded explanation..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Feb-12 08:39:05
Print Post

Re: test socket / no dialtone after i 'mended' it

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If using the test socket then there is no ring wire.

The incoming wiring from BT is just two wires, the master socket generates the ring wire.

I'm not sure what gone on with the wiring, (confused) but have you tried another phone

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 12:04:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Mr Saffron,
Thanks for the info mate, - thats interesting, I haven't tried another phone i'm afraid,
i dont have a spare, i dont actually use the BT phone (unless its an emergency) - as its in the back of the flat and i cant hear it anyway...

jut for info, All the internal wiring is dreadful at in this flat (Lazy landlord) and when i moved in, even the landlords 'spaghetti' phone extension, which i removed the day BT came and mended my faulty line, to the pole outside about ten years ago, when i moved in here, in a bid to improve my s/n ratio .. be moving again soon too..

Mark

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Marc_linux
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 17:32:01
Print Post

Re: test socket / no dialtone after i 'mended' it Update

Just spent a while with Eclipse tech support folks .. i really do like them... they did a line test, seems my BT line is giving errors like there's no tomorrow. its apparently on the CE (copper) bit they told me to tell BT, which i did ( via the BTWebsite )

Glad Eclipse foned my mobile and sorted out where the problem could be. i was connecting
via an old, outdated user name/pw too, and they're still sending my MAC they said, i will miss
Eclipse's tech support crew if i do migrate, but i'll be thinking about their offer of more
Gb p.m for a few more quid - if the line speeds up - my mate up the road gets 30ms pings
and 4mb down.. lucky chap. my ping last night was over a second .. four figures. d/l was 50kb/s,
now i know the BT line is goosed (i only saw them put it in a few years ago!)
- its a surprise i can get this site up. what a day.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-12 18:07:50
Print Post

[re: Marc_linux] [link to this post]

time to collect some dust and make sure your "fix" is not visible. I would dust it inside and out

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Feb-12 18:45:12
Print Post

You need to be aware that if the fix or fault appears to be beyond the BT demarkation line, that they will charge for the visit £130 or more

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-12 19:53:56
Print Post

its apparently on the CE (copper) bit they told me to tell BT, which i did ( via the BTWebsite )

CE (customer end) You've fiddled with the wiring and nonced it up. Get ready for the repair bill !

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 14-Feb-12 20:49:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And if it is before but it is obvious the customer has been tampering then it could be the same or more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Feb-12 21:04:29
Print Post

Photos needed

Standard User Marc_linux
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 22:51:37
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

Yes, i understand ... The fault developed *before* i even went into that (unused) room, so i doubt its the landlords 'pound shop' extension i took out, as it made no difference, it wasn't BT's wire, as i've not touched with the actual NTE wiring at all, as i was aware of this £130 charge, i just plugged into the test socket behind the master plate,

Maybe its related though, but difficult to see how, but if i have to pay the BT costs, so be it ..
it would just be the end to a perfect day anyway frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to