Zen tech services suggested the router at fault, and/or possibly the internal wiring. Got a new Billion 7800n which immediately fixed that and has never dropped the connection. Then, because speeds weren't terrific, I ordered a new BT master socket to be fitted and in December the engineer also fitted a new cable from the point it reaches the house.. My speed increased from 4.5 to approx 6.5.
Then last month I asked to be upgraded to ADSL2+ which was done within 24 hours.
After RobertoS suggested a few changes in my router settings, the speed settled at around 6.6-6.7 with .93up. The down speed only increased slightly, but the up speed doubled.
We had a power cut on Jan 23rd and it re-synced at 7.4 but a re-sync in daylight next day put it back slightly lower than it had been before. My line profile is 6880.
The router (wired) has been solidly connected with steady speeds for the full 3 weeks now.
Checks indicate the exchange is 1.6km, but Zen reckon it's actually nearer to 2.7/3, and could be why I don't get a better speed.
I'm approx 70mts from my cabinet.
Now I tried the BT tester and got:
Down 6.68 up (max achievable 7.15)
Up .973 (max achievable 832)
This is my router stats:
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.8
SNR Margin(Downstream) 5.1
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 22.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 46.0
The SNR down has varied between 4.8 and 5.9 depending on time of day ever since, but in the past 12 days it's been 5.4-6.3.
Edited by TrishaH (Thu 16-Feb-12 00:32:58)