General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sat 18-Feb-12 13:55:19
Print Post

ADSL2+ getting cheesed off!

[link to this post]

Hi folks

Got moved onto ADSL2+ around 3 weeks ago (27th Jan) and I can't say it's been very smooth going!

Prior to this, rock solid ADSL max connection (33dB down and 6dB SNRM, Interleaving off), pretty much the full sync and highest IP profile and it would usually stay up 20/30 days+ before I suppose errors got a bit high and it re-sync'd

It now seems that the DSLAM keeps changing things almost for the sake of it!. One minute interleaving is on (sensible for ADSL2+ on this line I suspect), then it switches it off. Errors rise, so I speak to ISP to get it switched back on. Next ... one minute the DSLAM lowers my 12dB upward SNRM to 6dB (fair enough, loads to play with, it looks rock solid to me), then it raises it back to 12dB and now I see it's lowered it again! Downward SNRM up to now (I run Routerstats 24/7) has always been a rock solid 6/7 dB, hardly wavering even during the evening. Now I see that it's been raised to what looks like 9dB for no real apparent reason!!! So that 1Mbps+ chopped off my downward speed.

I should mention maybe, that except for when they switched Interleaving off, error secs/HEC/CRC's have not been too excessive. And speed tests and real world usage / downloads have been fine.

So... my question is... is this normal behaviour on ADSL2+??? Is it still "settling down"???

I'm also starting to wonder if I would be better off forcing ADSL2, rather than 2+ !? As my highest sync has only been around 11Mbps anyway.

If it goes on like this, I'll have little more than when I was on ADSL max!

Moan, moan, moan.

PS. Though I did request a move to ADSL2+ myself, it would have been forced on me later this month by the sound of it anyway.

PPS. Stats currently sitting at:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:39:22
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,156 / 9,642
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.20 / 33.31
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 37.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / µ
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 310 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,195
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1

I suspect you can ignore the "error seconds" as these probably appeared when the re-sync happened. And have not increased since the re-sync. Same with the LOF errors I suspect.

----
Mike

Edited by MrBeeline (Sat 18-Feb-12 16:01:04)

Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sun 19-Feb-12 10:33:31
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+ getting cheesed off!

[re: MrBeeline] [link to this post]

This is getting worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My RX SNRM target now seems (for no reason that I can see) been increased to 12dB! My download sync is now worse than when I was on ADSL max (with a 100% stable connection).

The daft thing is, since they put interleaving back on the line, everything has looked fine. The SNRM was solid at 6dB, so it's beyond me why it was increased to first 9dB, then 12dB. The DSLAM seems to be going MAD.

Think I'll have to get onto the ISP again.

----
Mike
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sun 19-Feb-12 14:14:18
Print Post

You could try scrapping the + and just use ADSL2. Maybe there are some frequencies higher up which are interfering with the signal, and causing lots of re-syncs.

My down attenuation is 33db and I can hold the same sync for over a month using ADSL2+, but not all lines are equal.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sun 19-Feb-12 17:07:45
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if forcing ADSL2, rather than ADSL2+ might be worth a try.

I Emailed the ISP last night and that was one of the ideas that I floated. But think I'll give them a chance first. If only because their Customer Support has always been so good.

I'm assuming by the look of it, that I can use either DMT to do this (appears to be an option), or Telnet the router directly!?

Broadband as I said recently to some "is a dark art"!

----
Mike
Standard User epyon
(committed) Sun 19-Feb-12 17:44:19
Print Post

I assume you're using a speedtouch router? Then telnet would the easiest way.

BE*Unlimited 19068/1403Kbps @ 3db INP1
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sun 19-Feb-12 18:31:53
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Yes... Speedtouch 585v6....

I did try a new Billion 7800N for a few days last week. But that did not "appear" to manage the SNRM as well as the trusty Speedtouch and it seemed (for some reason) to pick up a fair bit of interference when I switched my Plasma TV on. I've had the TV 2 years and it's not even in the same room as the Billion. So Amazon very kindly took it back.

----
Mike
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 19-Feb-12 18:52:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrBeeline:
Yes... Speedtouch 585v6....

I did try a new Billion 7800N for a few days last week. But that did not "appear" to manage the SNRM as well as the trusty Speedtouch and it seemed (for some reason) to pick up a fair bit of interference when I switched my Plasma TV on. I've had the TV 2 years and it's not even in the same room as the Billion. So Amazon very kindly took it back.
Amazing Amazon. Taking back a 2-year old plasma TV tongue .

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sun 19-Feb-12 20:54:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by MrBeeline:
Amazing Amazon. Taking back a 2-year old plasma TV tongue .

Took me three goes to get my English language O'level back in the early 1970's! There are times like this when I can see why.

----
Mike
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 19-Feb-12 21:44:43
Print Post

smile
It was just too inviting. Meant in good part.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Feb-12 22:26:25
Print Post

BT based service? Their profiling is awful.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to