General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Feb-12 06:33:23
Print Post

Static IP /29

[link to this post]

My ISP has give me an IP range of X.X.8.11/29. How do I set up my 2820 & PC etc to use a static IP ? I have looked at http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vig ... ubnet.html but dont really understand. Would the subnet mask be 255.255.255.248 as I have range of 8 IP's ?
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sun 19-Feb-12 06:49:58
Print Post

Re: Static IP /29

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

A /29 is mask 255.255.255.248, yes.

If you are configuring this as a routed netblock, you will lose 2 (actually 3) of the IP addresses:

- One becomes the network address (the lowest in the range).
- One becomes the broadcast address (the highest in the range).
- One will become the default gateway of the network (the IP address in that range you give the router).

Having said that, X.X.8.11/29 does not lie on a network boundary of a /29 network (so not sure what's going on there). Valid networks would be X.X.8.0/29, X.X.8.8/29, X.X.8.16/29 etc etc.

In the Draytek under LAN -> General Setup, there should be an option to enable IP Routing Usage where you specify a secondary IP address and netmask - this is where you put the details in. There could be an option to activate the second DHCP service too for this network (if required). This is based on a Vigor 2800 - for yours, it maybe marginally different.

Hope this helps.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Feb-12 14:18:23
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Thanks mixt! That worked smile Typo in my first post my IP range is X.X.8.121/29

Its a bit mad only 5 usable out of 8 so if you got a range of 4 only really one is usable?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sun 19-Feb-12 14:25:19
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

That's correct.

You can use all 8 though, if the DrayTek supports it, using DMZ on a per IP basis.

Basically you can DMZ each individual IP address onto an internal 192.168.* IP address (direct IP to IP NAT). This is not the same as routed IP, which is the method you've just setup, but it does allow you to use all 8 addresses.

I would go with routed IP for now - if you run out of addresses, then look at the DMZ option or just switch to a /28.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
  Print Thread

Jump to