General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Feb-12 09:55:36
Print Post

BT vs Talktalk

[link to this post]

Broadband Ė i am with talktalk

Just to start, i have tested and substituted all filters, router etc etc. Speed tests done at the master socket with no other equipment connected. No fault with internal equipment

I have a steady sync speed with the exchange (at all times) of ~6.7mbps (all bt equipment, not unbundled)

The throughput speed of my connection, as per bt speed checker is 5.5mbps at non congested times, mornings for example. Which is fine, iím OK with it.

However, evenings and weekends this speed drops to 0.4 Ė 1mbps or lower and voip fails miserably, YouTube is unusable and everything grinds to a halt (sync speed is still ~6.7mbps)
(This is just general traffic, internet browsing, youtube etc we donít do any p2p or anything like that)

Could I expect this to improve if I moved to BT or any other provider? Iím wondering if talktalk are cutting costs by slashing the bandwidth they have from the exchange to the internet.

Any advice or thoughts would be gratefully received. We canít get virgin cable/infinity out here

angus
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Feb-12 10:02:23
Print Post

Re: BT vs Talktalk

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Given that the BT speedtester runs, suggests you on the off-net (i.e. non LLU service) and TalkTalk along with O2 and Sky offer poor service in these situations.

The probability is that any reasonable provider will offer a service that is better at peak times, excluding the LLU ones mentioned above.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Feb-12 16:40:38
Print Post

How much are you paying for the broadband? I think yours has a 40GB allowance? Or is it 20GB?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Feb-12 18:13:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanks for the replies.
i'm paying ~35£ for phone broadband and line rental. it used to be pipex but now taken over by talktalk.

i've been offered a similar deal with plusnet but they say that their broadband is better at peak times and that you can pay extra to have a priority line that doesn't dip at all at peak time.

thanks for your time, advice is much appreciated.
Angus
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:26:47
Print Post

I would have a try with Plusnet. It's almost certainly going to be better than TalkTalk non-LLU. You didn't say what your download allowance is on TT though? How much of it do you use?

Re the "Pro" option, that's £5pm. You can have it added and taken off at monthly intervals anyway, so I wouldn't bother with it initially. See how things are with the standard product.

Which exchange is it please?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 22-Feb-12 18:27:37)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Feb-12 18:58:48
Print Post

Iíd guesstimate monthly usage at about 10gb or so, i think our allowance is 20gb, but i'm unsure as talktalk altered things when they took over, certainly on the phone side call connection charges were levied etc

At any rate we've never managed to touch the usage allowance, which is a blessing.

The exchange is spalford, notts 01522 778 area.
Iím quite lucky in that all the copper from the exchange to the villages it serves was replaced about 10 years ago, and the data rate is (anecdotally at least) much better than similar local exchanges, taking into account cable run lengths.

Once again thanks for your assistance

Angus
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Feb-12 19:10:12
Print Post

So you could even try Plusnet Value? Though that does have fairly heavy traffic management.

You've probably already found that the posted prices only apply to you for a short time. It's a Market 1 exchange.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 25-Feb-12 17:17:33
Print Post

thanks for all your advice, i've ordered a MAC from talktalk and i shall try plusnet.
thats a great website you've got there RobertoS.

thanks again, Angusyears ightlif
  Print Thread

Jump to