General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-12 12:47:55
Print Post

BTw frustration

[link to this post]

BT are often the root cause of issues. I know most of the large exchanges in my county have VP issues, These are all Market One exchanges, where BT has a monopoly they can (and do) abuse, no dates exist for work to correct this on my exchnage or others locally one of which has had red VPs for several months now, in my case I lose 5 Mbps in the evening on a 20 cn exchange with a line that returns just short of 6 Mbps this is a significant performance hit, one night last week the BT tester result was 101Kbps.

I nailed Pipex a few years back with the term "failure to use reasonable skill and care in provision of services" so its not like the end customer has no protection in terms of fighting an ISP that is under-performing. The problem is that BTw seem to occupy a privileged position where they bear little responsibility for their own failure to deliver the wholesale service on whatever level that occurs and the regulator has all the appearance of being in bed with the wholesaler - OFCOM seems happy to wash its hands of the whole BTw mess - especially where they have a monopoly, In my case they ignore the VP issues here that affect everyone on this 9800 line exchange. (figures given by BT engineers - sam knows is woefully out of date and has had same figures for my area since 2007)

My ISP is required in law to use "reasonable skill and care" in the provision of my service, the same should extend to BT. All I can do is complain to my ISP who pass it on to BT who apparently ignore it. I can do nothing because of the "separation" that exists, I am paying for a service that falls far short of being acceptable but I have no remedy against the those responsible for the poor quality of the service, it is ludicrous. I guess it needs some sort of regulator... to make BTw live up to expectations and provide decent service levels where they are responsible for the provisioning.

Right now the pendulum has swung too far away from the end user with BT taking payment for services that often fail to be as good as they should be. - especially on 20 cn market one exchanges where BT have a monopoly and remain 2 steps behind the rest while charges are not proportionate to the lower performance. and level of investment

On Market 1 exchanges, ISPs - like their end users are at the mercy of BTw, it is often NOT a good place to be.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed [img]stb=133002821567802230126[/img]
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
VP status Yellow - About time BTw rewarded us for our over priced 8 meg crawl with some investment!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Feb-12 16:46:48
Print Post

Re: BTw frustration

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Good luck, but it boils down to the way BT Wholesale populates the VP's and the amount ISP's buy to get the aggregated VP's onto their own network.

In short such is the contended nature of broadband for consumers around the world, that in a court a good lawyer would show that 100kbps is probably all you are guaranteed at peak times.

Also consider this...with investment coming from councils/government and the possibility it may go to a competitor would you as a commercial company wait until things were a little more certain.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 19:09:33
Print Post

Is your exchange due to get upgraded to FTTC ?

I hope so.

If it makes you feel any better, although I have LLU on my exchange and my exchange is due to get a FTTC upgrade sometime this year, at present I can only get just under 3 Mbps because I live quite a way from the exchange !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(member) Sun 26-Feb-12 19:37:45
Print Post

Life isn't fair, I agree. But what do you think your voice telephone rental, and the set portion (determined by Ofcom) of what BT receive from your broadband subscription buys you? An analogue telephone service, and the right to receive an ADSL signal of whatever the BT telecommunications infrastructure provides, and that's it. After privatisation investment decisions became matters of commercial judgement. Why? Because everyone thought it would be a darned sight better that the politicised nationalised industries - and it is. All the whinging in the world isn't going to turn the clock back. Like everyone else we all have to work with the system - look for an alternative; I was fortunate enough to find one without too much difficulty, but you might have to work harder and join with others in your area to try and make something happen. God, luck (or whatever you call it) , as always, helps those who help themselves.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 26-Feb-12 19:43:24
Print Post

BT DOES NOT HAVE A MONOPOLY.

Any company can set themselves up and provide a service, and if you feel so strongly why not do that yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-12 20:47:22
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

My exchange isn't even on any published list I can fond for WBC! Its bad enough to be 2 steps behind similar areas (Cornwall) but what we are seeing here is a failure to maintain an acceptable level of service on the outdated system that we have been abandoned on.

We are told that the future is in online services. but on current evidence It looks as if vast areas of the country will be missing out and those are the very areas that lack good transport links and other infrastructure that has been decimated over the years in the name of economy.

What angers me is paying far more for a service that is grossly under-performing because no one is spending money on routine things like enlarging the capacity as this area grows and they sell more capacity at wholesale level. Its a disgrace that there is no hi speed capacity on Poplar for new customers we hear and yet here where no on at all can get anything like the speeds that are flaunted at us nightly in adverts by one arm of the group that is responsible for the under-performance in this county and apparently we are wrong to expect BTw to at least keep pace with the demand -put another way.. so many people will castigate ISPs for overselling capacity and yet when BTw does it its acceptable and understandable, and we are expected to be grateful to pay more for far less!

its a shame this area has all of the disadvantage of servicing the country with oil gas and power generation (modern installations require few staff) and yet we are unworthy of modern communication it seems.

All of this might be bearable if the tourist class service was reflected in a tourist class price.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VP status Yellow - About time BTw rewarded us for our over priced 8 meg crawl with some investment!
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 22:39:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by warweezil:
My exchange isn't even on any published list I can find for WBC!

Sorry to hear that there are no plans for an FTTC upgrade for you frown

FTTC is my saviour as it's the only way I can get more than 3 Mbps from my broadband connection.

Edited by CurlyWhirly (Sun 26-Feb-12 22:40:14)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-12 23:11:02
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

Im not sure Fibre will be an option here even in the medium to long term, just fixing the Vps would be nice, and is a reasonable expectation in terms of it reflecting an increased uptake in lines due to new developments in the area. WBC has to arrive sooner or later - knowing BTw it will be later - much later

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 23:53:06
Print Post

just fixing the Vps would be nice, and is a reasonable expectation in terms of it reflecting an increased uptake in lines due to new developments in the area.

I agree.
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Mon 27-Feb-12 00:06:11
Print Post

just fixing the Vps would be nice, and is a reasonable expectation in terms of it reflecting an increased uptake in lines due to new developments in the area.

I don't know how long it takes BT to increase capacity on its VP's but it looks like your exchange has been amber for less than 6 weeks.

From when I had an interest in such things, it may be possible for your ISP to move to a different VP as I assume only one is affected..

It also looks like your exchange got ADSL relatively early on, so fibre may not be out of the question (eventually!)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to