General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cosmicflame1
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 19:26:25
Print Post

Questions on O2 and other things...

[link to this post]

Hi, so after leaving the evil Virgin Media we're going to the good side with O2 (again).

We'll be going for up to 20mb service, and they estimate we'll be getting 7-8mb.

Questions:

1) How accurate is the estimate? If someone is with O2, would you be kind enough to go to their website, see how much they estimate your download speed and then see if that matches to your actual download speed? If so, kudos and ookies to you.

2) I assume for the moment the estimate is right. If so...

a) Can we watch a 720p youtube video without it affecting latency (one person can watch the video and another can play games without getting lag.)

b) Can watch BBC Iplayer HD without it affecting lag?

c) Can download something without it affecting lag?

d) And also how much would a Youtube video, (320p and 720p) use up? I heard 720p uses up about 4 mb of your connection?

3) Will I notice in difference in speed when I just surf the web? With virgin before all the problems started occuring I had 30mbps. With O2 I'll get 8mbps, will I notice a difference in loading webpages and loading videos.

Many Thanks.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 28-Feb-12 20:03:36
Print Post

Re: Questions on O2 and other things...

[re: cosmicflame1] [link to this post]

If you are returning to o2 after some time away make sure you look at the the traffic management details:
http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/trafficmanagement.jsp as the packages all changed last year and are now quite different to what went before in that regard.

I would put my number in their estimator but they have the annoying If you use our availability checker, we may use your number to call you. clause on it - as I'm an existing customer I really don't want to be bothered with their sales calls smile

As for the rest of the questions, I'm on one of their older unmanaged packages so can't really comment how the new ones perform.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Feb-12 20:04:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by cosmicflame1:
1) How accurate is the estimate? If someone is with O2, would you be kind enough to go to their website, see how much they estimate your download speed and then see if that matches to your actual download speed?
O2 does not seem to have a availability checker at the mo', unless you can provide a link.

Anyway, their estimate is based on BT's unreliable database history of your phone line, which presumably is non-existent. Best to get a postcode check here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.postcode . You'll never know a good estimate until you get ADSL connected and can read off your stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cosmicflame1
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 21:40:15
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

I dont understand lol.

Are they saying that from 4PM to Midnight you'll only be recieving 0.25 meg?

But it says this is only for P2P, and am I right in saying gaming -MW3- for exmaple, uses peer to peer? So won't this mean that from 4PM to Midnight my game will be practically un-playable or am I mistaken?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Feb-12 00:18:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.postcode .
Duff link.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Feb-12 00:29:35
Print Post

Gaming is rarely P2P. Downloading the game or updates to it may be.

YouTube should be OK.

I guess you are looking at the All Rounder? If you look at my O2 tips page there is a copy of another table on an O2 page that can't be linked to easily. (It is reached during a "session" which is unique to the visitor). Look in O2 Support >> Home broadband >> Set up and Technical info >> Traffic management >> What are the technical details of your Traffic Management for my source.

There's a bit more info there.

Sounds a risky move for you! Which exchange is it?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Feb-12 08:55:59
Print Post

1. The checkers are estimates, so for one person they can be spot on, and another they can be way off. All the xDSL providers take their core data from the same source, so until you get the line running it is very much just a ballpark number

2. If you mean can you watch a HD stream and it not affect lag, then you will not get that from any xDSL provider. You need a connection that is several times faster, i.e. to the point that a HD stream is a small part of the link

Downloads are the same, ie. gamers generally do not share connections well.

Webpage loads are a lot to do with the DNS lookup time, and you can change this yourself. If you are looking at graphic heavy pages, e.g. ones with 1280 x 720 images on them, then you'll notice a slow down (unless VM was performing badly) but normal websites, the difference on a 5Meg versus 20Meg is minimal due to the way a webpage is delivered.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Feb-12 14:31:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't understand it. It was verbatim URL led from here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Postco...

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Feb-12 18:39:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Don't understand it. It was verbatim URL led from here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Postco...
Uh uh smile. You messed up the "copy" from the URL bar then.

If you look back at it, the new one has "?URL=&SP_NAME=a%20service%20provider&VERSION=29&MS=E&CAP=no&AEA=Y" forllowing the word "postcode".

Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 29-Feb-12 20:01:42
Print Post

Virgin Media Cable or ADSL? If ADSL posting your router stats would allow a speed estimate to be given.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to