General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Mar-12 21:20:11
Print Post

Speeds all over the place

[link to this post]

I've always had speeds around half a meg then about a month ago things improved and we were getting a whole 1Mb (after around 12.30am usually). Then yesterday it suddenly ground to a halt..even at 4am it was slow as anything...at some points today we've only manage 90kbps! It's now about 400. But I can't listen to the radio or anything fancy like that.

All that happened yesterday was that I checked on bt if I could get infinity yet as it went live in my town last week. I'm not with BT but my ISP uses a bt line and I plan to get fibre to cabinet with them.
What can I check? Oddly my router is saying I'm still getting 1Mbps!

I pay for ASDL 2+
Connection Speed 10226 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 38.5 db 21.8 db
Noise Margin 2.4 db 16.0 db

I'm 1 km from exchange. My router is only a few months old, firmware up to date. No viruses (my imac is brand new).
Any ideas what's going on or what to check?
It's most frustrating as I work from home and online!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Mar-12 21:30:44
Print Post

Re: Speeds all over the place

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Your post is a bit confusing as you seem to be talking about kilobits and Megabits per second all the way through, but you have a connection speed of 10Megabits per second.

Are some of your figures supposed to be megaBytes? A byte is 8 bits.

If your best ever speed has never been above 1Megabit per second, something is dreadfully wrong somewhere, because you are connected at ten times that, and your slowdown to 90kbps or 400kbps could be something to do with whatever the major problem is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Mar-12 21:43:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No idea what I did there! I think I missed an 0 when trying one of those converters!

It's just a very sudden drop in performance. For example my son was trying to download a minecraft update (so it's not just my mac) that normally takes seconds and he gave up after an hour.

The speed tester on here says I'm currently getting 0.51 Mbps (definitely Mbps, I just checked)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Mar-12 21:59:05
Print Post

Let us see what results you get from the BT performance tester:-

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Mar-12 22:05:18
Print Post

Please copy and paste the full contents of the two text boxes of the BT speed test that Apprentice asked for, not just the bits you think we need to see smile.

So are you really saying you have never had over 1Mbps actual? (If you had registered you could have edited and corrected errors, and the whole forum works much better. No Captchas for a starter and a lot fewer adverts).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Mar-12 22:06:46
Print Post

and thank you...I had no idea about the bytes/bits thing.

So my router is claiming it's getting 10226 kbps but I am actually getting way less!
I've done a few tests now and the range between 380 and 510 kbps (i've doubly doubly checked those now) so that's like 5% of what I should be getting!
It can't be the line if the router says things are fine. The router is new but I guess it could still be wrong.
Standard User tracym
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-12 22:15:24
Print Post

Ok I logged in! I'll go do that test...might be a little while, have to go dig out that ethernet cable..will have to plug the laptop into the router as I use my imac wirelessly. Thank you very much for your help.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 22:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Oddly my router is saying I'm still getting 1Mbps!
I pay for ASDL 2+
Connection Speed 10226 kbps 444 kbps
That's 10 Mbps!

Can you get your numbers and units right and then we can understand the scale of the problem? Also paste an actual speedtest result, like the thinkbroadband forum code from here.

You are receiving ADSL2+, cuz Sync Speed is > 8 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User tracym
(newbie) Sat 03-Mar-12 00:07:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Can you get your numbers and units right and then we can understand the scale of the problem? Also paste an actual speedtest result, like the thinkbroadband forum code from here.

You are receiving ADSL2+, cuz Sync Speed is > 8 Meg.

Sorry! I have now become aware of the units of broadband measurements!

Right I've done the BT test now

Download speed achieved during the test was - 319 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 9.02 Mbps

Upload Speed achieved during the test was - 455 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP Profile on your line is - 448 Kbps
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Mar-12 01:41:53
Print Post

[re: tracym] [link to this post]

That's awful! You running wireless on a contested channel? You need to run speedtests with Ethernet.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to