General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 10-Mar-12 17:37:14
Print Post

BT adsl checker database shouldn't be used by isp's

[link to this post]

ADSL CHECKER SAMPLE

That is what it's results are for my line, if they where anywhere near accurate i would not have bothered getting a pc and broadband, these results should not be used for estimates either as they are not reliable enough for that even

Is there anyway to get this updated with the correct info? this guesstimate is used by isp's some of which will hide behind as they will try and claim that the line is operating within specification when it may not be ,
My true attenuation when connected to an adsl2+ service is 28 @ the dslam
my line length is quite short certainly less than 2km probably around 1.5km or less
the sync speeds i have had syncs in excess of 19mbits downstream @4db
and 1.2mbits@7db (capped ) with my previous isp, with my current isp i see speeds are a little lower typically around only 18mbit @3db both use fastpath & are llu SMPF and no dlm

But recently my sync dropped several times within a short space of time and resulted in the sync being lower on both up and downstream ,and suddenly there where lots of errors too,

The isp at the time basically hid behind the dumb database and refused to call in openreach , the problem has oddly now improved somewhat but is not quite back to what is was
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-12 18:18:02
Print Post

Re: BT adsl checker database shouldn't be used by isp's

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The database is not there for providers to hide behind, so your ISP is using it wrong.

It is there to give a signup estimate, so people can get an idea whether they are likey to get or 15 Meg

The normal range of speeds for your attenuation is 14 to 17 Meg, so what is actually wrong with the database?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Mar-12 18:49:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've started to notice that if I 'check' my line via BT's Availability Checker that shortly afterwards I then get a phone call from 'BT Broadband' promising me all sorts of things.

If I've got time and am in the mood I must admit I do rather tease them about what a long line on a 20CN exchange can expect! smile

BT should really add a note (sorry if I've missed it) like some other providers to say if you put your phone number in expect a sales call...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-12 19:38:38
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

If that is happening when you use the Wholesale checker, that is bad.

Wholesale do not deal with end users directly.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 10-Mar-12 20:25:59
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:

Wholesale do not deal with end users directly.

Matt
On several availability checkers of various isp's it' giving a figure of 8mbit what a joke !!! when i tried to enter my number in to your checker i got this message
We are currently not able to deliver any results on the number entered. This could be because it is a new number, not an active BT Wholesale service or one that is incompatible with broadband.

my line is with BTW and currently has bb (SMPF) LLU active on it also,So maybe a glitch somewhere ?

My current isp are hiding behind it in saying because the recent drop in sync rate and multiple LOS & LOF events coupled with tons of errors hasn't dropped below this frankly bs estimate by btw there's not a fault,lol who do they think they are trying to blag ? i won't name & shame them just yet
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-12 20:42:46
Print Post

The checker gives no indictation on loss of signal type faults, so speaks more about your actual provider than the checker itself

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-12 20:53:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The checker gives no indictation on loss of signal type faults, so speaks more about your actual provider than the checker itself
yes i know , but they will use it to try and say that it is within normal ranges ,if it was more accurate than it is and gave say 14-17mbit then it would stop them being able to use it for more than a guesstimate at time of sign up

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Mar-12 21:56:46
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:

Never happened to me, I assume b4dger isn't using the wholesale one but the bt internet one.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 11-Mar-12 09:36:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
ADSL CHECKER SAMPLE

That is what it's results are for my line, if they where anywhere near accurate i would not have bothered getting a pc and broadband, these results should not be used for estimates either as they are not reliable enough for that even

Is there anyway to get this updated with the correct info? this guesstimate is used by isp's some of which will hide behind as they will try and claim that the line is operating within specification when it may not be ,
My true attenuation when connected to an adsl2+ service is 28 @ the dslam
my line length is quite short certainly less than 2km probably around 1.5km or less
the sync speeds i have had syncs in excess of 19mbits downstream @4db
and 1.2mbits@7db (capped ) with my previous isp, with my current isp i see speeds are a little lower typically around only 18mbit @3db both use fastpath & are llu SMPF and no dlm

But recently my sync dropped several times within a short space of time and resulted in the sync being lower on both up and downstream ,and suddenly there where lots of errors too,

The isp at the time basically hid behind the dumb database and refused to call in openreach, the problem has oddly now improved somewhat but is not quite back to what is was
I think you have gpot hold of the wrong end of a few sticks there, along with some right ones.

There is a very good reason for the standard sync-time noise margin being 6dB. That being that many lines cannot reliably support settings much lower, partly because of normal noise variation 24/7 of over 3dB and partly because of cheap domestic grade routers sometimes losig connection when still well above 0dB actual margin. For example my Speedtouch 585v6 and O2 box (also 585v6) would both drop if the margin fell below 3.5dB. Three Netgear 834 variants I then used would hold down to 0dB.

Importantly, the BT estimates are based on the assumption of a 6dB connection, plus the existence of ring wires and non-optimised environments such as dodgy extension wiring and electrically noisy home environments. Which in my opinion will include the vast majority of installations.

Are you aware that the standard setting on Sky LLU is 7dB and on TalkTalk 9dB? I have reason to believe that Tiscali used to be 12dB, but I'm not sure that is correct.

Maybe you shouldn't be tweaking. The result of a disconnection due to noise almost inevitably causes a lower reconnection speed. That's the way it works. Your line seems to have intermittent noise bursts. That's life.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Mar-12 10:08:51)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Mar-12 11:08:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

No it was the 'Wholesale' checker.

Might has just been coincidence, but 3 or 4 times now I've put my line details in and in the next couple of weeks received a cold call from BT trying to get me to move to them.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to