General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vit0
(regular) Mon 12-Mar-12 17:41:00
Print Post

VDSL Faceplate

[link to this post]

Hi,

I had FTTC installed on Friday, this is via an MPF line so there are no other services on it. BT installed a new master socket and the Cellpipe modem is plugged straight in via a VDSL micro-filter. I'm just wondering if there's any point in getting a VDSL faceplate such as:
http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html

Cheers,

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Mar-12 17:45:25
Print Post

Re: VDSL Faceplate

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

Picture of your VDSL micro-filter please?

The run-it link is what Openreach usually install onto a Master socket. Though most good existing ADSL2+ compatible microfilters should do the job perfectly well.

Also what do you mean by MPF Line with no other services? MPF usually means both voice and xDSL are supplied via LLU hardware in the exchange.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vit0
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:00:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's my understanding that the line goes to the BT cab and then is directly connected to the Thales (Digital Region) cab and does not touch BT. There is no dialtone on the line as it was only provisioned for VDSL. The OR engineer rang Thales to confirm it was working and not BT.

Anywayyyyyyyy, I can't easily take a photo of the micro-filter as the room that the master socket is in has no light and I don't want to unplug it because other people in the house are using it.

It is a plain white standard looking micro-filter with "ADSL Filter" printed on it, with a serial number (2711026999) on the back. It came with the Cellpipe 7130 VDSL CPE supplied by Thales.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:19:48
Print Post

Does the "socket" fitted by the OR engineer have just a phone socket outlet, or a phone socket and a broadband socket?

Is there anything wrong with the speeds anyway?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:35:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Does the "socket" fitted by the OR engineer have just a phone socket outlet, or a phone socket and a broadband socket?

Is there anything wrong with the speeds anyway?

the OP is with ask4 that run on the digital region in south Yorkshire, digital region connections don't usually use the split face plates like open reach FTTC uses they use a standard NTE5 socket and a normal filter like used with ADSL.

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User vit0
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:35:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The socket is a standard NTE5a with no additional plates. Speeds are consistent, however they are meant to be 40/10 and as you can see from my speedtest in my sig' they are 36/8.

I can't see line stats or sync speed as I connect via PPPoE and have no access to the modem.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:39:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by vit0:
The socket is a standard NTE5a with no additional plates. Speeds are consistent, however they are meant to be 40/10 and as you can see from my speedtest in my sig' they are 36/8.

I can't see line stats or sync speed as I connect via PPPoE and have no access to the modem.

little off topic but how long did it take from you ordering to them actually getting it activated i placed an order with origin but it was going to take 2+months to get activated so canceled so how have ask4 been for you so far?

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User vit0
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:51:32
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

2 months?! insane.

It took about 14 working days. Digital Region / Thales manage all the provisioning so all the Digital Region ISPs should have the same lead times in theory.

There is an unofficial forum for DR at http://www.drlforum.co.uk (sorry if this advertising is not allowed, please remove)

Edited by vit0 (Tue 13-Mar-12 22:54:12)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:54:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by vit0:
2 months?! insane.

It took about 14 working days. Digital Region / Thales manage all the provisioning so all the Digital Region ISPs should have the same lead times in theory.

Yup i thought this they claim to be having back logs but who knows origin also dont seam to know the difference between BT infinity and open reach wholesale access lol so that worried me so canceled my order, Ii just gave ask4 a quick call and hes confirm about 14 days answered a few questions for me and they look top notch just need £75 quid now for install and first month lol

Ash

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:55:04
Print Post

Hadn't looked at the sig speedtest - in general they are historic and irrelevant. Yours isn't tongue smile.

The upload is consistent with that seen on Openreach GEA 10Mbps sync and BT Wholesale 10,000kbps upstream IP Profile. I suggest there is some reason for that 2Mbps drop between sync and throughput which applies also to your setup. (My downstream thoughts following may also be relevant to the upstream).

Download speed:-

When you say it goes to the BT Cab and from there to the Thales cab, do you mean the BT Cab is an Openreach FTTC one, or the original PCP?

If it is an Openreach FTTC one then I expect the feed is you >> PCP >> FTTC DSLAM, (as normal), >> Thales cab.

If so, the Openreach DLM will be running on the DSLAM, with a maximum IP Profile of 38717kbps, before the handover to Thales. On the common BT Wholesale that generally gives 36-37.5Mbps throughput, depending on the standard of the ISP's backhaul, routers and so on.

So again, as with the upload, I wouldn't see an issue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to