General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Wed 14-Mar-12 11:14:19
Print Post

LLU Line Underperforming?

[link to this post]

Hi
I've just had my line regraded from 20CN ADSL to ADSL2+ LLU through a TalkTalk reseller.

My previous adsl stats were 21.5db attenuation and a stable 8.1snr.
With these figured I would have expcted around 19000kbps sync going off the kitz and farina checkers.

My current stats are:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 15897 kbps 1022 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.5 db 14.9 db
Noise Margin 6.1 db 9.3 db

This seems a bit on the low side? My snr is around 6.4 most of the time but varies between 5.8 and 6.7 depending on time of day.

Is there some sort of line management on the talktalk llu stuff even through a reseller? the DMT tool shows line line as having 64 depth interleaving on too, will this affect sync speed? Also - I seem to remember that the target margin in 9db - maybe this is not helping either?

I should also point out that my router is plugged directly in to the nte5 socket which no extensions.

Any suggestions are most welcome!
Standard User epyon
(committed) Wed 14-Mar-12 12:54:15
Print Post

Re: LLU Line Underperforming?

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

line attenuation jumps around 4-5db when switching to adsl2/+

my line attenuation is 25.5 and i get around 15800 sync speed so i think you're line is performing just fine.

1.Vivaciti LLU Lite ?/?Kbps
2.TalktalkEssentials 15788/1254Kbps @ 6db INP0
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Wed 14-Mar-12 15:58:54
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Hi
Yes - Im aware that attenuation jumps by about 3db but the checkers use your ADSL1 attenuation to estimate your ADSL2+ sync. at the attenuation i was at and even now I should be syncing higher. Heck I've seen people with an origional attenuation of 28db getting better sync then me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(committed) Wed 14-Mar-12 16:14:41
Print Post

Well to maximise performance matching router chipset and DSLAM

it could give a massive boost 2-3mbps is possible though its hard to do it sometimes

my DSLAM is broadcom and matching it with a broadcom gets me around 1800kbps extra.

Though every line is different in perfect conditions you would be syncing at 18+ Mbps

1.Vivaciti LLU Lite ?/?Kbps
2.TalktalkEssentials 15788/1254Kbps @ 6db INP0

Edited by epyon (Wed 14-Mar-12 16:15:44)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Mar-12 16:14:45
Print Post

Yes, you're right! You should be syncing at 18-19 Meg on 6 dB NM.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Wed 14-Mar-12 16:20:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I thought so too - so far I've tried a DG834GT and a Tomson 585v6. Any ideas?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Mar-12 16:24:10
Print Post

Is there some sort of line management on the talktalk llu stuff even through a reseller?

Depends on who the reseller is.

. . .
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Mar-12 16:27:39
Print Post

No, but I'm getting 19 Meg with a DG834GT on 26 dB attn but with 3 dB NM Fast path. So you should be able to get similar on lower attn, but higher NM.

Have you got stats from test socket? Removed ring wire, checked extensions, swapped filters ... ?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Wed 14-Mar-12 17:15:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
No, but I'm getting 19 Meg with a DG834GT on 26 dB attn but with 3 dB NM Fast path. So you should be able to get similar on lower attn, but higher NM.

Have you got stats from test socket? Removed ring wire, checked extensions, swapped filters ... ?

Reseller is Vivacity

When the line was enabled it has (and still has for the moment) the maximum interleaving on - I know on ADSL1 this affected your max sync - not sure if it applies here tho.

My Router is plugged in to the BT master socket - no extensions. Have tried a DG834GT and 585v6.

No extensions to check - also tried two other filters.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Mar-12 17:18:06
Print Post

Is it into the master with just the short ADSL cable, or are you using a plug-in phone extension between the two?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to