General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tonguey
(newbie) Fri 16-Mar-12 08:36:24
Print Post

Annex M

[link to this post]

Hi guys/girls,

Signed up with Vivaciti, activated yesterday. I chose the Annex M package and don't seem to be getting the Annex M upload increase. I have tried Annex M setting both off and on, all speedtests etc. give the same results.

TP-Link TD-W8960N router, latest firmware, settings below.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
ADSL2+ and Annex M selected.
Cable set to inner pair.
Bitswap and SRA disabled (have tried these enabled too)

Have tried reboot, factory reset, more setting combinations that you could wave one of them stick tv remote control things at, different filters and cables.
I do not have another Annex M router to try.

Line stats.
Downstream - 16982Kbps, Attenuation 26dB, SNR 6.3dB
Upstream - 1308Kbps, Attenuation 12dB, SNR 7.2dB

Haven't sent a ticket to Vivaciti as yet, but will be pending what you suggest.

Thanks in advance smile

Edited by Tonguey (Fri 16-Mar-12 08:38:57)

Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 16-Mar-12 09:13:25
Print Post

Re: Annex M

[re: Tonguey] [link to this post]

I'd send that ticket off to Vivaciti. Perhaps the port hasn't been correctly configured at the exchange.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Mar-12 11:19:11
Print Post

If you turn off Annex M does the downstream speed go up?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tonguey
(newbie) Fri 16-Mar-12 11:33:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

No, both down and up stay the same.

Thank you for the advice there.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Mar-12 11:40:51
Print Post

The op is not able to obtain a sync on Annex M , the upload speed tells us that , it's under the headline sync of over 1.4mbit for ADSL2+only
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Mar-12 11:42:49
Print Post

In that case a few thoughts occur.

I expect that is a Be Wholesale LLU service? It is quite common on Be Retail for the Annex M not to cut in for a couple of days on new connections, or even to need manual intervention. It wouldn't be surprising if that also applies to the Wholesale product. So as has been said, you do need to raise a ticket.

Second, on 26dB attenuation your 16Mbps connection speed is a bit below normal, though not hugely so. I suspect your home wiring. Have you ever optimised that?

Third, at 16Mbps downstream on Annex A then you will almost certainly drop to around 14Mbps on Annex M, and gain only a few hundred kbps upstream. Probably not worth it. If we can get the Annex A speed up to well over 17Mbps things look a little better. You would lose less and gain more.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Mar-12 11:48:12
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The op is not able to obtain a sync on Annex M , the upload speed tells us that , it's under the headline sync of over 1.4mbit for ADSL2+only
The stats could mean that, and his reply says they do. However see my second reply to the OP. If the Annex A sync had been 17.5Mbps, which is what I would expect, an Annex M sync of 16Mbps with no significant increase in upstream is possible.

Standard User Tonguey
(newbie) Fri 16-Mar-12 12:17:04
Print Post

In that case a few thoughts occur.

I expect that is a Be Wholesale LLU service? It is quite common on Be Retail for the Annex M not to cut in for a couple of days on new connections, or even to need manual intervention. It wouldn't be surprising if that also applies to the Wholesale product. So as has been said, you do need to raise a ticket.

Second, on 26dB attenuation your 16Mbps connection speed is a bit below normal, though not hugely so. I suspect your home wiring. Have you ever optimised that?

Third, at 16Mbps downstream on Annex A then you will almost certainly drop to around 14Mbps on Annex M, and gain only a few hundred kbps upstream. Probably not worth it. If we can get the Annex A speed up to well over 17Mbps things look a little better. You would lose less and gain more.

Homewiring should be fine - new cable and openreach box on wall (installed fairly recently by the looks of things, no ring wire, no extensions). The ISP who was here when we moved in was Utility Warehouse, TalkTalk LLU - download was 12.3Mbps and upload 800kbps roughly, on a 22.3dB attenuation, so Vivaciti have given me a nice wee increase there already.

Looks like Vivaciti's website is down just now, will need to wait to send the ticket.

Of course, I will post here when I have spoken with them.

Rob.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Mar-12 12:53:45
Print Post

Hmmm smile.

From what you say, it isn't builder-installed wiring then?

The TT LLU could very well have had a high sync-time noise margin restricting the speed. But a change of attenuation from 22.3dB to 26dB from a change of DSLAM and router is exceptional. Plus of course, on 22.3dB far higher downstream should have been available, even with a high noise margin and a capped upload.

Let us know how you get on smile.

Oh - what cabling is there between your router and the phone socket? Is it a Master Socket, where the bottom half of the faceplate is removable by undoing two screws?

Standard User Tonguey
(newbie) Fri 16-Mar-12 12:58:46
Print Post

Hmmm smile.

From what you say, it isn't builder-installed wiring then?

The TT LLU could very well have had a high sync-time noise margin restricting the speed. But a change of attenuation from 22.3dB to 26dB from a change of DSLAM and router is exceptional. Plus of course, on 22.3dB far higher downstream should have been available, even with a high noise margin and a capped upload.

Let us know how you get on smile.

Oh - what cabling is there between your router and the phone socket? Is it a Master Socket, where the bottom half of the faceplate is removable by undoing two screws?

Correct, master socket, Openreach installed. Bog standard cable that came with the router between that and the filter (has been swapped).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to