General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User geoffo
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-12 07:45:47
Print Post

Why does my wired router constantly reboot?

[link to this post]

I have had no problems with my internet connection for years, now mysteriously my Speedtouch 510 wired router has started losing connection & rebooting almost constantly. I have Windows 7 and have run AV & anti-malware full scans, I have not made any changes to my computer or installed new software or equipment. I have tried it using 2 browers (ie & ff) & it happens with both.
At first, I thought it must be the router which had become faulty, maybe started to overheat, but I have another computer on an extension and when I plug it in there, it runs fine. Iím not very technically savvy and would appreciate any suggestions that might identify the cause.
Thanks, Geoff
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 08:30:42
Print Post

Re: Why does my wired router constantly reboot?

[re: geoffo] [link to this post]

Hi geoffo smile.

I'm a bit unclear about one thing. How does the second computer usually run, on the extension? Or isn't it usually connected to the net? Or do you have two ADSLx lines? Your previous thread seemes to have come to a dead halt with no decision.

When you use the Speedtouch at the extension, and things are fine, what don't you take there with it? I'm thinking of the filter, ADSL cable and power supply/cable. I assume it goes wrong again when you try back at the original place. If you are using a different one of any of those, try it at the normal place.

If the problem is stil there then, is the original place at the master socket, and if so is it one where the bottom half of the faceplate comes off after undoing two screws? As in this pic. If so, carefully remove that, see the wires attached and be careful with it, and plug the filter into the test socket - the one on the wall at the back, and see how that goes. Be aware that all extension sockets should stop working when you remove the faceplate, those wires are what connect them to the master and therefore the incoming line.

Good luck, let us know the result.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 18-Mar-12 08:33:35)

Standard User geoffo
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-12 08:51:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks you for replying Robert, sorry I wasn't clear. My second computer isn't normally connected to the internet. So all I have done is physically unplug my wired router from my main computer & taken it upstairs & plugged it in to my 2nd reserve computer. I take with it the same cable but not the filter as I originally had 2 supplied to by my ISP. My main computer goes directly into the main BT socket (with a filter) but it's the old fashioned type and doesn't have a test socket. As I've been typing this reply, it has just rebooted twice, strange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 08:52:24
Print Post

Try using the other filter. They can fail.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Mar-12 11:38:17
Print Post

It's possible the psu in the speedtouch has started to fail. The capacitors suffer from heat and over voltage and eventually fail. The 510 is a pretty old bit of bit, my v4 went the journey quite a few years ago.

Dave
Standard User geoffo
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-12 11:48:50
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Thanks Dave, yes I've had mine for years, but what would you recommend is a good one to replace it with?
Standard User geoffo
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-12 11:50:28
Print Post

Thanks Rob, I've tried that and so far, it seems to be behaving itself better, early days though
Standard User geoffo
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-12 13:26:00
Print Post

Oh dear, I spoke too soon, it's can't be the filter, it's just rebooted 6 times in quick succession, strange because I've been on it all morning with no problems. What now?
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Mar-12 14:52:03
Print Post

An ex-SKY branded Netgear DG834GT with DG team firmware can be had off ebay for a few pounds and is a good bit of kit.

Dave
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 16:05:13
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Sounds worth a try.

Print Thread

Jump to