General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Thu 29-Mar-12 15:31:33
Print Post

CW1308

[link to this post]

Will CW1308 2 pair cable be ok to extend a master around 10m? It's 0.5 mm solid copper
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Mar-12 16:04:50
Print Post

Re: CW1308

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

yes

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:33:29
Print Post

Yes, but you cannot do it. You will be interfering with the incoming pair and termination and it will be obvious to BT that you have done so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:48:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

How will they know whodunnit?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 18:03:17
Print Post

Depends on what you mean by extend, you can do it and stay within the letter of the rules

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 31-Mar-12 18:54:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I take "extend a master" to mean move it rather than add an extension.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 31-Mar-12 18:55:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Junction box? or there is another way which BT Techs will be aware of but others not.

M H C

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sun 01-Apr-12 01:06:45
Print Post

By extend I did mean interfering with the BT pair. Oh I've been naughty!

I got fed up of the master socket being in a stupid place. It was in the extension and as such the wifi had to go through the thick external wall & the router was plugged in a 8 gang socket with a dvd player that kept freezing meaning the router kept being turned off and on.

The wifi was totally flaky in so many rooms. I also grew sick of home plugs - hardly convenient when you're using laptops

I was 99.999999% sure that CW1308 was fine but I was considering buying the drop cable stuff with the steel inside.

& BT will be unable to comment. I used external CW1308 cable which I obtained directly from a friend within open reach. I then used a certified junction box. The 3M one step closure from ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270918958222?ssPageName=ST...

I ran the current drop cable from the front to the side of the house, where I joined the new cable with the junction box. Then CW1308 for about 10 metres to the back of the property. Drilled a hole and located the master in the kitchen... All of the cabling is external

I also used the jelly crimps which waterproof the joint nicely.

The router now has a dedicated socket behind the fridge freezer and is sat nicely on the kitchen counter. From here the wireless signal covers the entire property (which was a big problem before). & Now the router won't be turned off and on whenever somebody needs to use the dvd player.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 01-Apr-12 01:12:36)

Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Sun 01-Apr-12 08:28:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I was considering buying the drop cable stuff with the steel inside.
Didn't realise BT used CW1308 with a steel wire inside. I'm talking about the drop wire from the gable end where the wire from the pole ends, to the NTE5. Since the drop wire is usually attached to the end wall of the house, I can't see any need for steel reinforcement.

I thought current practice was to use ordinary external quality 6-core CW1308, but maybe I'm wrong.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sun 01-Apr-12 08:52:43
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

The cable that comes from the telegraph pole to the house contains steel supports - so that it's strengthened whilst being mid-air. It's not called CW1308 though. I've forgotten the exact name.

Generally this cable is continued unto the master to prevent use of a junction box. It's not needed on the outside of the property as the cabling is attached to the wall as stated. I was just going to get it as it's what was already used.

All of my wiring was outside not inside. The cable comes in through an external wall straight into the master. Nothing inside. & I ended up using the 3 pair stuff I think, whatever it is that openreach have.

Anyway this works nicely.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 01-Apr-12 08:53:28)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to