General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User phil917k
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 22:59:24
Print Post

Decreasing line profile rate

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have an issue with my BT line profile rate which has declined over the last few weeks. It used to sit at 5000kbps and I could download at a reliable 4800kbps. My ISP is Madasafish - but probably not for much longer as they're now just too expensive.

Anyway, my line profile has now fallen to 4000kbps and so my download speed has fallen to about 3700kbps - a bit marginal for HD streaming on Iplayer, which is my personal benchmark for decent service given that my exchange is restricted to BT wholesale ADSL products at "up to 8Mbps" and no prospect of improvements.

Madasafish customer support sent me a graph which shows frequent disconnections on my line, especially in the afternoons.

My question is, how can I determine whether this is a fault with my BT phone line or with my modem/router?

Most recent router stats are:

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 6 20 dB
Line Attenuation 40 25 dB
Data Rate 4960 448 kbps

Phil
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Thu 29-Mar-12 23:23:55
Print Post

Re: Decreasing line profile rate

[re: phil917k] [link to this post]

If possible try using another router, broadband cable (rj11) and filter/splitter in the NTE5 test socket and if you are still having problems then raise a fault ticket with Madasafish - I had similar problems last year with adsl1 and Plusnet sent me a new router etc. free of charge in order to test the connection before a fault was formally raised by them with Open Reach.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Mar-12 23:25:37
Print Post

[re: phil917k] [link to this post]

Looks like an older 20CN exchange and on those the IP Profile takes longer to recover. Have you tried making a note of the connection rate and IP profile from www.speedtester.bt.com

As for why the disconnects, have you tried taking the lower part of the master socket off so you can use the test socket? i.e.removing your wiring from the equation

A line rate of 4960 is low for 40dB attenuation, and even the old figure of 5000 for downloads is low. Something a lot closer to 7 Meg should be feasible, suggesting perhaps you've always had a wiring issue

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Mar-12 23:33:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Looks like an older 20CN exchange and on those the IP Profile takes longer to recover.
On a sync of 4960 K it's never gonna recover.

But as you say the line is underperforming anyway; it should be syncing at about 7 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to