General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Fri 30-Mar-12 10:17:55
Print Post

Why do large companies launch "New Improved Sites"

[link to this post]

I order my groceries on line at Waitrose. A few months ago they launched "A New Improved Site" It was chaos, you could not log on or if you managed to it crashed, it was impossible to use. Months later it still does not run properly.
Yesterday I tried to connect to my Barclays account and found they had launched "A new Improved site". It was very difficult to move around but slowly I managed to access my account and make a few payments. Today the site has crashed. If you wait a VERY long time part of a page will appear then hang. Eventually I gave up and tried to phone Barclays, surprise, after coming up to 40 minutesn of being told that I am in a queue I gave up.
So I can't manage my bank account. Why don't these people test the site before they put them up.
Lesson to be learned, if you have an account with an organisation that says it is going to launch "A New Improved Site" leave and sign on with someone else.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 30-Mar-12 10:23:18
Print Post

Re: Why do large companies launch "New Improved Sites"

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

they think that if they stand still they are going backwards, because others are going forwards.

I once did Beta testing on accounts software, some of my bugs were acknowledged and unresolved at the product launch as "it had to meet the marketing launch date", I guess / hope they were fixed later.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 10:15:11
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I once had a problem with an 'improved' bank web site.
I enquired, and found that the site had been improved, and that there had been other complaints.
I immediately asked why they didn't roll back to the previous version, while they located and fixed the erroneous bits. The reply convinced me that the, supposedly technical, support to which I was talking had no idea to what I was referring - a standard practice in all the industry use which I was familiar with.

Derek

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 10:38:33
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

If a complex database conversion is involved, very few developers make provision for reversion, which in many cases can anyway be extremely difficult without losing new types of data already input to the new system. Not impossible of course, but more costly than most budgets will allow.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Mar-12 16:43:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Reversion plans were mandatory at the bank I worked for before you could sign off implementation of *any* changes.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 31-Mar-12 17:19:42
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

After getting into Barclays website early this morning it seems what they have done is to make it more accessable to tablet and smartphone users with a big chunky layout. (looks absolutly horrible)

Now yesterday was payday for a lot of people who get paid at the end of the month and also for a lot of other payments that would happen on the first may have been also rolled back to yesterday.

So a brand new website with increased acessability of devices with a huge amount of people seeing if they had got paid and it was almost inevitable that there would be problems.

And when those people want to check today if they got paid and oh dear it happens again, looks like Barclays created their own DOS attack.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:33:14
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I agree that Thursday (I think) it was impossible to get in, but both Friday and today it's been fine. The design though is appalling, suitable for a 5-year old - though that might be insulting some of that age. About the level of Fisher Price graphics and chunkiness.

I though web sites could detect the device and thus, if so designed, adjust accordingly.

It's definitely a yuk.

Tony
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:33:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
After getting into Barclays website early this morning it seems what they have done is to make it more accessable to tablet and smartphone users with a big chunky layout. (looks absolutly horrible)

Now yesterday was payday for a lot of people who get paid at the end of the month and also for a lot of other payments that would happen on the first may have been also rolled back to yesterday.

So a brand new website with increased acessability of devices with a huge amount of people seeing if they had got paid and it was almost inevitable that there would be problems.

And when those people want to check today if they got paid and oh dear it happens again, looks like Barclays created their own DOS attack.

Even relatively novice web designers and developers should be able to use stylesheets to create versions of each page that look "right" on the device being used.

If they've created a "big chunky" layout as you've suggested and made the standard on say a large widescreen monitor at a PC just like using a tablet, then they are complete rookies at designing.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:33:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I would not go anywhere near my bank accounts using a leaky tablet or smart phone. shocked

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:36:50
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I though web sites could detect the device and thus, if so designed, adjust accordingly.

They can. Not usually by device but it's very simple to detect the viewport (basically how wide and tall your browser is) and the orientation (portrait or landscape). There are a number of other methods that can be used too, all inside a normal stylesheet.

Using these you can tell fairly accurately what the device being used is and tailor the view accordingly.

http://www.mediaqueri.es is a good site. Load any of the links on it and then resize your screen. You'll usually see a "big" view for normal monitors...resize down and it'll switch to a tablet type view. Go right down and you'll see a mobile view.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to