General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLE
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-12 13:29:06
Print Post

How do BT rollout FTTC in a town?

[link to this post]

Last Friday our exchange started accepting orders which is located in Thirsk (NETI). 4-5 weeks prior to this they installed about 10 or so new cabinets, cabling all at the same time including our cabinet. As far as I can tell, only two out of these cabinets have been enabled so only a small number of homes can get FTTC.

Here are the details for our cabinet:
NETI,THIRSK,YO7 1BN,{NETI}{p4},0,100,2.37,6b,Yes,FTTC

Today I have noticed that the contracters are putting more cabinets in, at the other side of the town.

Do BT generally just enable a few to test the system, and when it's bedded down enable the rest, or are they enabled in dribs and drabs? It all seems very random, and you would have thought that a timescale could be provided on a town by town basis. I guess I will just have to keep checking to see when it's available, or write a web script to check for me smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Apr-12 13:57:22
Print Post

Re: How do BT rollout FTTC in a town?

[re: TLE] [link to this post]

a check to see whn the exchnage is live either by superfast-openreach.co.uk or sam knows will give an indication of when exchnage is due lto be live
Standard User TLE
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-12 14:39:37
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
a check to see whn the exchnage is live either by superfast-openreach.co.uk or sam knows will give an indication of when exchnage is due lto be live

FTTC is available as of last Friday, I am just trying establish if there is any kind of rollout plan used when deploying FTTC to an exchange, or is it rather random.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-12 14:55:26
Print Post

It tends to be rather random as they seem to use different contractors to do the various pieces of the work: construction, fitting out, fibre connection, power connection. Each of which may be hampered by various factors such as collapsed ducts etc.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Apr-12 14:57:04
Print Post

To some extent it may be down to local circumstances. If they need to dig up areas then they may need way leaves and permission to do so. Planning permission may be different in different areas of a town. Some cabs may already have fibre run to them that can be used and therefore may be quicker to enable. Guess there could be any number of reasons for some cabs being easier/earlier than others.
  Print Thread

Jump to