General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:23:57
Print Post

Do you take sugarsync?

[link to this post]

I have signed up to SS and have happily arranged for several folders to be backed up on a cloud somewhere ... all except one.

For lack of an alternative, I'm still using MS Money for household finance recording. The data is held in a file called 'My Money.mny' and I automatically backup to a file with a similar name but the suffix .mbf - both being on my internal hard drive

Both these two files can easily be found on my desktop by any of the conventional MS means. But when I try to use SS to add one of them for backup or sync purposes the listing of available folders has never heard of them.

Neither folder is flagged as hidden or read only. i run Vista with IE9. All software is up to date.

There's a useless statement on SS help about how to backup financial files - and no response from the support line yet.

Has anyone else cracked this please?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:34:04
Print Post

Re: Do you take sugarsync?

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

rename them to something recognised?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:52:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Also with some applications if the file is open by an application a backup tool may not be able to read it for backup purposes

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:09:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys.
Whilst the folder is only 7mb (previously backed up manually to usb), it's one of the main reasons why i went for a cloud backup!
The data file My Money.mny is on c: but SS help advises to backup from a backup (!), so the backup mymoneybu.mbf is in c:.\users\myname\documents
Although I also have an external drive, it appears that SS doesn't cater for them.
I'm sure you'd both agree that it shouldn't be necessary for me to create yet another backup folder.
SS help on the subject only refers to quickbooks and quicken (which is deceased).
Deeply disappointing.
(member) Thu 05-Apr-12 20:44:55
Print Post

SS have sussed the answer.

For the benefit of anyone who might have a similar problem. SS will back up folders, but not at individual file level.

The data I was anxious to copy away was in files. So all I had to do was arrange for the MS money auto backup to be to a file in a specially created folder, then specify that folder for cloud backup.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-12 21:21:51
Print Post

Duh! I was gonna point that out.

In your OP you confused files and folders frown
In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
Neither folder is flagged as hidden or read only.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to