General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 15:25:05
Print Post

Is Fibre really worth it if you're not a heavy downloader?

[link to this post]

From the perspective of a home user.

For example, does the network give better latency over ADSL [backhaul?]/Copper etc? And is there still peak time congestion etc?

Are there any other tangible benefits, for a home user?

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!

Edited by RiffRaff (Wed 04-Apr-12 15:27:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 15:29:11
Print Post

Re: Is Fibre really worth it if you're not a heavy downloade

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

If you are a home user getting over 10 Mbps now, then perhaps not.

Congestion can still be an issue, as improvements to the local loop are still dependent on how the provider gets the data to the internet at large.

latency can be lower for games, and the extra capacity means you can game while someone else is streaming a HD stream.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 15:30:35
Print Post

depends on the quality of one's adsl connection.

eg. if someone has a stable 14mbit adsl2+ connection that works well on fast path then probably not assuming you dont upload much.

however one may have a dodgy 2mbit connection that needs interleaving and still has lots of line errors causing packet loss and disconnections in which case FTTC would be worth it for the stability boost alone.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 15:46:24
Print Post

Benefits:

Flawless streaming
Gaming
Increased upload (blogs, websites, e-mails, FTP sites)
Working from home (conferencing)
Multiple users sharing the connection

Personally, I'd rather have a full speed FTTP with 50GB per month, than an ADSL1 connection with the same usage. Occasional use of a motorway has to be better than occasional use of a 'B' road (bikers excepted). Additionally, the quicker one person gets their data/stream/video, the quicker the network is freed up for others.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 16:08:00
Print Post

For me, a definite YES.

I went from a flaky 1Mb connection to a steady 35Mb connection (nothing available in between the two).

My FTTC connection has been flaky for a few months, but still much better than ADSL. Hopefully an engineer's visit booked for Saturday will fix it again.

From what I can gather, most users enjoy perfectly steady & high speed connections.

I don't download large amounts, but when I do download anything, I want/need it quickly.

I could not work effectively from home via ADSL, but as my job allows it, I can now work really effectively from home (saving travelling time/expense) whenever it is convenient.

I don't really see much in the way of congestion (maybe I am lucky?) & ping times vary between 10ms & 26ms.

Finally, a number of family internet users can be online at the same time with very little effect upon each other's use.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Wed 04-Apr-12 16:08:43)

Print Thread

Jump to