General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Apr-12 14:27:00
Print Post

ryuk11

[link to this post]

I had a quick read through some of the internet packages offered by ISPs, and now all of them seem to be 'metered'; as in your are given surplus charges if you go over the limit. I'm not a heavy user but do download more than average. I was wondering when this charging policy started to be the norm?

I joined be internet in 2006 and am on uncapped 'reasonable usage' policy. So this new stuff doesn't apply to me but I'm just curious... It could become a problem to a lot of people, if streaming HD from film sites etc becomes more popular.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Apr-12 14:29:10
Print Post

Re: ryuk11

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sorry wrong title - I assumed i was entering a username. Can an admin give it a more appropriate title please
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 14:36:33
Print Post

Inclusive GB / PAYG tariffs

Some providers have always been metered - like Metronet (taken over by Plusnet) who had a low entry cost 300 MB inclusive then pay for extra MB model. Others have had limits for some years.

Standalone small ISPs generally can't sustain the unmetered model if using BT infrastructure as a handful of itinerant internet archivers will seek them out and kill the service with demand.

So "unmetered" is the territory of local loop unbundlers and (perhaps more importantly) ISPs that can attract a wide cross section of the population and not just a few download addicts with the same cumulative demand.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 17:35:27
Print Post

Re: ryuk11

You'll find using these forums a lot easier and better if you do actually register that as a username. No captchas and far fewer adverts for a start smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to