General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-12 20:02:29
Print Post

Faint buzz/Hum noise on Phone line, fault or not?

[link to this post]

I have had this very faint noise on my line for several years, it's always there sometimes it seems a little louder than others, it as far as i can tell isn't having any bad effect on ADSL or voice calls ,I have spoken to a couple of openreach engineers in the past about it, one said he thought it could be a battery fault,or an earth fault, but obviously couldn't confirm anything,

Last week i was speaking with an engineer who was outside i told him what the other guy had said, he volunteered to have a listen to it which he did (using my phone) after he said it was in his opinion a fault and i wouldn't get charged as he could easily hear it, he also said earth fault but a pair quality test would determine the cause ,which he didn't carry ,

So armed with this info, i decided to report a ptsn fault engineer turned up, did some tests results via mobile phone result ok, had a listen using both my phone and his test phone, he checked at the outside wall box unable to hear it (due to outside background noise from passing traffic ect )

Then at the test socket , he said he could not hear it, let me listen on his handset i still was able to hear the noise albeit at a slightly lower volume level but i was able to hear it,
He listened a few more times, then he said do you mean that pulsing noise ? me ???? eh ,i said no it's a constant humming/buzzing sound,

then he told me that he had heard similar on a lot of lines, and then said could be the exchange, but he could not put it down as a fault, after he had left, i was again listening with both the corded phones and can hear it on both,

i also heard some popping at one point, but that stopped , Is it worth insisting that openreach send an enginner who is equiped with Jdsu tester/pair quality tester ? I'm certainly going to not just rollover and get charged £130 because he says he can't hear something that i & another engineer can/could hear

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Apr-12 20:38:49
Print Post

Re: Faint buzz/Hum noise on Phone line, fault or not?

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

You can do a BT Quiet Line Test yourself, dial 17070 Opt 2, at the test socket with a corded phone and router disconnected.

If you can hear ANY noise, then you have a voice fault and it should be reported to your phone provider, without mentioning BB.

It is not up to you to diagnose the cause nor the kit required to test it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-12 22:42:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You can do a BT Quiet Line Test yourself, dial 17070 Opt 2, at the test socket with a corded phone and router disconnected.

If you can hear ANY noise, then you have a voice fault and it should be reported to your phone provider, without mentioning BB.

It is not up to you to diagnose the cause nor the kit required to test it.
As said already can hear buz/hum during Quiet line test whilst only corded phone in test socket And it was reported as a voice fault, but engineer say no he can't hear it, but i was even able to hear it on his test phone, as for what kit is needed i was only relaying what another bt openreach engineer told me what he thought maybe needed obviously a pair of ears isn't reliable enough otherwise something would be getting done about this fault not me being charged for nothing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Apr-12 23:19:36
Print Post

You never mentioned the Quiet Line Test; otherwise I wouldn't have bothered frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Apr-12 11:11:36
Print Post

If you want to record noise or interferance on your line (or someone else's) there's an easy way we use. There is a free service called callinbox (All one word, use google!) where you can get a free mailbox for people to leave you messages that are sent by email - But if you call it from a problem line (and preferably mute the telephone) then your background and line noise is recorded for up to 5 minutes and then sent to you by email. If there is no noise at all - it stops recording after 60 seconds, or when you hang up.

You can use this to record occasional problems to replay to engineers later - or to help settle "No fault found" problems when OR want to bill us.

Of course, you can also upload the files for others to hear exactly what you mean which is also very handy.

Hope this is of use to you,

Regards,

TechGuy
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-12 13:59:46
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
If you want to record noise or interferance on your line (or someone else's) there's an easy way we use. There is a free service called callinbox (All one word, use google!) where you can get a free mailbox for people to leave you messages that are sent by email - But if you call it from a problem line (and preferably mute the telephone) then your background and line noise is recorded for up to 5 minutes and then sent to you by email. If there is no noise at all - it stops recording after 60 seconds, or when you hang up.

You can use this to record occasional problems to replay to engineers later - or to help settle "No fault found" problems when OR want to bill us.

Of course, you can also upload the files for others to hear exactly what you mean which is also very handy.

Hope this is of use to you,

Regards,

TechGuy
I can see that being useful in cases where the noise is intermittent and loud
Problem is with this fault (if it is a fault) is that it's a constant faint hum/buzzing, My corded phone allows the volume from the handset speaker to be amplified a little so is clearer and louder than it is on a bog standard £5 argos phone, but it is still just about audible on that too,
But because the noise isn't that loud i doubt it will be audible enough to be picked up be this service, but for other louder noises i'm sure it could be of use, so thank's

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Apr-12 18:20:36
Print Post

The line should be absolutely silent

Sounds like you have a very similar fault to mine

My line is mostly silent, but sometimes I can hear a faint humming which takes some effort to hear, but is there. I can also hear the modem resyncing on the line if I turn it off and on again - pulse like tones are heard

Don't remember you ever mentioning this before

Be* Unlimited
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-12 19:59:34
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nredwood:
The line should be absolutely silent

Sounds like you have a very similar fault to mine

My line is mostly silent, but sometimes I can hear a faint humming which takes some effort to hear, but is there. I can also hear the modem resyncing on the line if I turn it off and on again - pulse like tones are heard

Don't remember you ever mentioning this before
Well you can hear the constant Buz/hum sound on my phone without listening too hard , but the phone i use does amplifyy the volume a little ( when vol is set to max ) similar to some of the newer pay phones in the on street TK's although they are becoming scarce ,
This noise sometimes will appear to be louder sometimes too, and for some reason is more audible if the secrecy button is used more than if the mic is just covered with a finger or thumb,
I don't hear any ADSL chatter from the modem , But i have in the past years like when i had a HR Fault or several of them, heard the noise similar to an old dial up modem establishing a connection ,
which was coupled with the crackling at other times ,

But since the D'side pair and according to my previous isp E 'side pair where replaced (during 2009-10) But only the buz/hum remains apart from the occasional popping sounds, which after ringing my phone the popping stops which occurs late at night or early hours more than during daylight hours

I do know that the main cable bundle spur for the building is not in ducting under the footpath, as i can remember when a power cable got severed some years ago and the bt cable was just coiled up under the paving flags , not buried ,
I thought i had refereed to the buzzing /humming noise in the past, maybe not,

Possibly because it doesn't appear to be causing any problems, but may do should i ever wish to use a FTTC product

Infact the reason never reported it because i was under the impression that they(Openreach) would dismiss it as a fault and expect me to hand over £130 for the privilege, which seems to have become reality without any proper in depth tests being carried out

The way that i see it if they seriously expect to be paid , then they all should carry the necessary kit and know how to use it ,not just a case of well i can't hear anything that is a fault,and then mutter something about exchange ,

I get the feeling that perhaps the engineer was playing dumb, and knew what it was, it could well be something that he knows they will never do anything about so no point in perusing it , or he could not be bothered checking at exchange or street cab

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 15-Apr-12 20:36:34)

Standard User TechGuyUK
(newbie) Mon 16-Apr-12 12:21:40
Print Post

Hi Tommy,

Actually - it's the other way round! - If the noise is on your line, it will be recorded very clearly - however if the noise is somehow only on your equipment due to local interferance that's not actually on the PSTN line, then it won't be recorded.

This is unlikely if you've tried two phones, unless you are two feet from a sub-station or large UPS, which you may have noticed!

The service records from digital (ISDN) lines directly to wav files with no analogue connection apart from the caller (if on an analogue line) so it does give a very good representation of the analogue line and any noise on it.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 12:40:40
Print Post

It's a quiet line test, not a silent test, a little background hum is quite normal and depends on the phone being used. I don't mean corded or cordless but different corded phones respond differently.

So long as the noise does not prevent a normal conversation it's fine.

It's crackle and bangs you need to watch out for.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to