General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bwoadbwand
(newbie) Sun 15-Apr-12 17:20:15
Print Post

Phone Line Installation

[link to this post]

Hi ive just this week placed an order for a new phone line with the post office that will eventually be used for broadband. But after ordering it im not quite sure how they'll get in it in here. I have a flat in a 3 storey block, an overhead line is out of the question due to block rules about appendages on outside of the building being prohibited. It seems as if a line hasn't been active in here for some time. There is a pole just outside and seemingly a trail of covers/lids from where the pole comes from i cannot see where this ends up in the building.

A bit of digging inside has revealed two things in the flat firstly an old socket in the bedroom
Socket 1

Socket 2

Also from that socket a white wire goes to the living room and what i think is an old ISDN box

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w488/mrees84/IMA...

I have two questions will an installation be any trouble and also which of the two boxes pictured above would be the master socket.

Thanks
Bwoadbwand

Edited by bwoadbwand (Sun 15-Apr-12 17:26:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Apr-12 17:24:49
Print Post

Re: Phone Line Installation

[re: bwoadbwand] [link to this post]

None - the Home Highway needs removing and the master socket most likely put where that is.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bwoadbwand
(newbie) Sun 15-Apr-12 17:31:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is the home highway box then where the line comes in and the socket an extension from that?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Apr-12 17:39:04
Print Post

Probably

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sun 15-Apr-12 18:00:31
Print Post

On close examination of the photograph you have labelled Socket 2, it seems likely that the incoming line is the cable entering through the rear of the metallic backing-box.

Without another, clearer photograph, I am not absolutely certain but I think it is the incoming pair that is then gel-crimped to the blue pair of the externally run cable. That cable then feeds the Home Highway unit and from there the telephone service is "back run" to the bedroom socket via the green pair (with the orange/white wire used as the (so called) "bell wire").

If you would like to take another photograph of the wires behind the bedroom socket, ensuring that the wire colours are clear and to where each wire is connected, then a more definite statement could be made.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 15-Apr-12 19:32:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As mine has now gone, I am going from memory!

The incoming cable went to an NTE5 with a "Digital Access" front plate. The ISDN NTE9 was wired from that and the access plate was the primary analogue number and also an analogue fall back line if Highway failed ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to