General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 17-Apr-12 14:21:48
Print Post

Google Chrome and bandwidth

[link to this post]

An IDNet customer has been having problems with excess bandwidth usage that he couldn't account for. No wireless so it wasn't a leecher.

He's sussed it- as this isn't an uncommon problem here I thought it worth repeating what he found:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28...

Link posted with permission.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 14:52:23
Print Post

Re: Google Chrome and bandwidth

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Interesting.

Re. Google Chrome 'pre-rendering/fetching'.

As the link points out you can disable:
"Predict network actions to improve page load performance" in Settings > Under the bonnet.

But rather than change your shortcuts to start Chrome you can type: chrome://flags/ into the address bar and disable the option:
Prerender from omnibox Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
Enables prerendering of suggestions from the Omnibox and predicts appropriate network actions (prerendering, Instant, DNS preconnect) by calculating a confidence value for each Omnibox result.

EDIT:
Forgot to say. You can turn off prefetching in Firefox by entering about:config in the address bar. Then type 'fetch' in the search which should show you your network.prefetch-next settings. Double-click to set it to 'false'.

I don't like all this pre-fetching stuff. I like to (try) to be in control of what my PC downloads! smile

Edited by b4dger (Tue 17-Apr-12 15:02:07)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 17-Apr-12 15:06:33
Print Post

Re: Google Chrome and bandwidth

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
I don't like all this pre-fetching stuff. I like to (try) to be in control of what my PC downloads! smile
Same here.

I also wonder if all those pre-fetched urls will get logged if the Govt implement some of their sillier ideas... ooo

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to