General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 18-Apr-12 17:39:22
Print Post

No ip address issued by dhcp server using Repeater

[link to this post]

I have set up a wireless network with a fritzbox as the main router and a tenda w311r as the WDS repeater (slave). To make everythiNg simple, I removed all security, set both boxes to use 802.11g on channel 8.

The system worked, so long as the wifi clients (laptops, phones etc) obtained a IP lease from the main router. They could then roam between the main router and repeater at ease with no problems.

If they tried to connect for the first time range of the repeater, they are not issued with an ip address lease.

I have turned dhcp server off on the slave (tenda) as I thought that was correct, as the main router should issue addresses to keep control.

Is there something I am missing?

Tks
Tom
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 18-Apr-12 19:28:03
Print Post

Re: No ip address issued by dhcp server using Repeater

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You could use DHCP on both, but limit the IP range on each so they don't overlap but are in the same subnet. You should use different channels to minimise interference, but use the same SSID.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Hardball
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 22:41:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks, but the fritzbox instruction specifically instructs to use the same channel and same encryption.

http://www.hulp4all.com/interface7340/wlan_wds/index...

I thought about using two dhcp servers, but in that scenario, what happens if someone ventures from one AP to another? Would they lose connection?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 18-Apr-12 22:54:22
Print Post

[re: Hardball] [link to this post]

Yeah, makes sense to use the same channel wink
I think once a device has got an IP address, it will keep it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Apr-12 23:18:47
Print Post

[re: Hardball] [link to this post]

Really, you'd be best trying to find out why DHCP isn't working in that scenario. Before you resort to packet analysers and all that fun stuff, perhaps try swapping around which one is acting as a DHCP server?

This isn't ideal, but if you don't feel like troubleshooting further, it is probably a better solution than having two dumb DHCP servers on the same network.

Zen 8000 Pro
  Print Thread

Jump to