General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User minority
(learned) Sun 22-Apr-12 10:07:27
Print Post

New Build Master socket has connection but no internet.

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have recently moved into a new build (Barratts) and had my phoneline and bb activated on Friday but my internal sockets are all dead.

I was suppose to have a BT engineer come out and do something but got a txt from them on tuesday saying good news you don;t need one.

On friday I checked my broadband but no signal was coming through and so I tried the external master socket that is outside and I get a signal from there.

I phoned barrats and they say that I should still need a BT enginneer to do something internally but I have no idea as looking at the face plate the wires for pin 2 and 5 are connected in all three phone lines.

where else would a bt enginner need to connect wires as this is doing my head in.

Cheers for any help.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Apr-12 10:46:45
Print Post

Re: New Build Master socket has connection but no internet.

[re: minority] [link to this post]

Do you really mean you have an external NTE ? Grey box 3 inches by 6, one big cross head screw, top left ?

If that is what you mean, then post a link to a photo, and I'll talk you through making the connection.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Apr-12 10:50:09
Print Post

Re: New Build Master socket has connection but no internet.

[re: minority] [link to this post]

Barratts would have wired up the internal extensions to the external NTE. Cannot remember the number of wires each pin can accept, but the older internal NTE has trouble with more than two wires per pin

On the internal sockets do the wires to pins 2 and 5 look like they correspond to the colours at the external.

Openreach will have looked at paperwork and seen that it should all be done, hence no engineer. Getting them to fix things now may cause you to be billed by them, I would make it clear to Barratts that I would want them to take this billing, since at this point it appears their wiring is not working for the telephone.

The broadband may simply be a case of not being activated yet, which provider? Was it a SIM Provider using a LORN?

BTW builders are well known for problems with wiring, there are clear Openreach Builders Guides on all of this.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to