General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Apr-12 20:47:42
Print Post

Virgin media terrible pings especially at peak times?

[link to this post]

Is it worth putting in a complaint to them do you think or are they just going to be shifty about things? Fact of the matter is that during peak times latency is terrible. I'm getting anywhere between 18 ms - 380 ms to bbc.co.uk. Online gaming is impossible. I even have to often reload pages as they stop loading before they even complete!

Any thoughts? Complaint to Ofcom or trading standards even? Unfortunately the DSL choices in my area are nill unless I can be content with 1.5 meg.

Cheers.
Aaron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Apr-12 20:59:24
Print Post

Re: Virgin media terrible pings especially at peak times?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You might get them to offer you a reduction in price as compensation

Alas this is far from rare and as the faster users use more, everyone is suffering

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Apr-12 00:18:26
Print Post

Re: Virgin media terrible pings especially at peak times?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Unfortunately the DSL choices in my area are nill unless I can be content with 1.5 meg.
That's the reason. Many round there will have done the same as you, for the same reasons, with the result that the VM provision is hugely overloaded at peak times.

As they have no real competition there, assuming you can't get Openreach FTTC, there probably isn't much you can do.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to