General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fryn
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 09:29:41
Print Post

STD codes

[link to this post]

Hi to anyone out there
Please bear with me - I am new to using forums and pretty ignorant about broadband stuff, but I'm trying to learn. We are suffering really low broadband speeds following a move of ISP a couple of months ago - 1.5 download speed on Monday evening, which is not unusual, with frequent cut-outs. We were promised a minimum of 6.5 rising to 12.5, which is the range which every other broadband provider promises but I am not convinced that these speeds can in fact be achieved at our property. We are a relatively long distance from the exchange and from a cabinet, but I have now also discovered that ours is probably the only house in the area with an 'old' STD code - 8690 - and for the last thirty years all new properties / new phones around us have been given a different STD code - 0314. What effect would this have on our speeds if any? A neighbour with the 'new' code has no problem with internet speeds. Should we be asking for a new phone number? Thanks for any ideas.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 10:02:02
Print Post

Re: STD codes

[re: Fryn] [link to this post]

STD code has no effect on broadband.

Changing your phone number will have no effect.

Can you find the actual connection speeds, attenuation and noise margin data from your broadband modem. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php shows how to get these for most modems.

Once we see those we can comment further on your plight

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 10:54:24
Print Post

confused

8690 is not an STD code; they all start with 0.
0314 is a Non-Geographic Code given to firms who want National coverage.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fryn
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 15:56:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My router is not one of those on the site. However, I have found out the following information:
Netgear router DGN1000
Downstream connection speed: 4589 attenuation 33.2 dB noise margin 8.5

upstream connection speed: 1023 attenuation 17.5 noise margin 10.3

Virginmedia are making all sorts of excuses, including wireless interference from next door neighbours.

Have been speaking to O2 who claim to be able to offer us much better speeds because they use ADSL2+. Is there anything in this?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:15:44
Print Post

The line should have you seeing speed tests around the 3Meg (3000Kbps) mark. If you get this at say 9am, but its bad at 7pm then its a case of change providers.

The Virgin Media ADSL products are not renowned for being great. Though that said based on your data, your modem should be connecting a lot faster. Also I think you on ADSL2+ already.

At the master socket, plug the modem with just the filter (no phone)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/faceplates/...
into the test socket that is revealed by unscreweing the lower half of the master socket. Then go get the figures again.

Then post the results back. We can then advise on the next step.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Apr-12 19:51:09
Print Post

I would have thought that a 33dB attenuation with a default 6dB SNR should achieve around 11-12M throughput?

Edited by Deadbeat (Wed 25-Apr-12 19:52:50)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 20:10:48
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

http://www.farina1.com/adsl
"11500Kbps to 15000Kbps"

So yes, was waiting to see what happened at the test socket. It is possible C&W who do the Virgin LLU has someone profiled the line and locked down to this sort of speed.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Apr-12 20:18:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fryn:
...... Have been speaking to O2 who claim to be able to offer us much better speeds because they use ADSL2+. Is there anything in this?

O2 have been good for me for a few years now but it seems that cracks are starting to show. If you're a heavy downloader then Sky is the preferred option but be aware that this is a full LLU option only.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Apr-12 20:38:37
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
I would have thought that a 33dB attenuation with a default 6dB SNR should achieve around 11-12M throughput?
Yeah, I was about to post that. My connection was 34db on ADSL2+ and I syncd at 13Mb/s over the winter at 6db and 14Mb/s over the summer at 3db.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Fryn
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 17:34:41
Print Post

Sorry for delay - various commitments. Have had very long discussion with Vm who have now downloaded a firmwire update for the router. Router is currently connected direct into test socket via ADSL filter but I will connect direct and post as soon as I have the results. Current speed looks about the same a yesterday, although there seems to be a better connection in my daughter's room. I think you are right about already being on ADSL 2 - I have noticed that when looking up the router on google.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to