General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dgd17
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:55:26
Print Post

As good as it gets?

[link to this post]

I live in a rural area and I'm trying to make sure I get the best broadband speed available. I

1. What ISP are you using and what speed is your connection according to the modem or router.

Namesco Gold Broadband
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 1344 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 13.8 dB 15.0 dB
Line Attenuation 59.5 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 16.9 dBm 12.3 dBm

2. What make and model of modem or router are you using and what is your operating system / version of Windows.

BT voyager 2010 windows xp

3. What is your attenuation and SNR/noise margin both upstream and downstream.
Line Rate 1344 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 13.8 dB 15.0 dB
Line Attenuation 59.5 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 16.9 dBm 12.3 dBm

5. What does the BT Wholesale number checker say for your line.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Here are my results from the BT speedtest:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.84 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.34 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1 Mbps

Is this the best I can hope for. Or is it possible that changing broadband supplier or product will increase the speed a little?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 18:51:47
Print Post

Re: As good as it gets?

[re: dgd17] [link to this post]

How long is it since you restarted the router?

If recently, did you do it a lot of times close together? Or maybe you had a thunderstorm and that caused it to?

The reason I ask is that a normal Noise Margin is somewhere between 3 and 6dB, depending on a number of factors. Yours is very high at 13.8dB, which could be caused by thunderstorms or too many reconnections in a short time.

Try a single switch off of the router, wait 3-4 minutes, then turn it on again and please read the stats immediately after. Post those. That will tell us what your line has been set to, and then we can start recommending what to do.

Once you are sorted out you could be looking at a Line Rate of 2500-3000kbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 25-Apr-12 18:52:27)

Standard User dgd17
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:05:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanks for your answer. here is the info from router after restarting:
Line Rate 1280 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 13.9 dB 14.0 dB
Line Attenuation 59.0 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 16.7 dBm 12.3 dBm

and here are results from another bt speedtest. slower now, but i thnk probly because it is peak time (8pm)?

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.35 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.28 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1 Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:25:44
Print Post

The target noise margin is what is making you get just 1.2 Meg connections

On IPStream you start with a 6dB margin, and then if the BT DLM system believes your line is unstable, it will raise the target margin, slowing you down but making the connection more stable.

Make a note of the noise margin over the next 48 hours particularly once its dark, and if there is very little variation, you could ask your ISP to lower the target noise margin

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:26:00
Print Post

That 13.9dB is weird. At connection time it should be 12dB or 15dB,so if taken immediately sould be within a couple of decimal points of one of them. I suspect 15dB.

How long has the service been connected? Your opening post implies only recently, re the 10-day period.

Yes, it will be a bit slower because of congestion.

Ah! Speed test 8pm, you posted at 9:05. So if you took the stats at 9:02pm they don't tell us what we want. From the margin and sync immediately after connection we can work out roughly what you should get, but the noise margin can vary a lot in an hour. Specially at night.

Don't do another reconnection now though. You will get slightly better ones from doing it during daylight smile. If you do one now it could connect at under 1152kbps and that would mess you up for 3-4 days.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User dgd17
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:07:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That 13.9dB is weird. At connection time it should be 12dB or 15dB,so if taken immediately sould be within a couple of decimal points of one of them. I suspect 15dB.

How long has the service been connected? Your opening post implies only recently, re the 10-day period.

Yes, it will be a bit slower because of congestion.

Ah! Speed test 8pm, you posted at 9:05. So if you took the stats at 9:02pm they don't tell us what we want. From the margin and sync immediately after connection we can work out roughly what you should get, but the noise margin can vary a lot in an hour. Specially at night.

Don't do another reconnection now though. You will get slightly better ones from doing it during daylight smile. If you do one now it could connect at under 1152kbps and that would mess you up for 3-4 days.

it's not a new connection. been connected 18 months at least.

speed test and stats all done at same time, 9pm immediately after connection. sorry - i got the time wrong in previous post. i only switched router off though. perhaps i should have unplugged it completely?

also we are a long way from the exchange and the phone line is just lying on the surface of the ground at some point (i can see it running along the hedgeline at some points) could that be affecting anything?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:30:42
Print Post

OK, re the times, and switching the router off and on was perfect.

The wire on the ground sounds very odd. I've never heard of that before.

Have speeds always been fairly poor? Whether or not, do as Andrew (MrSaffron) said earlier. Note the Noise Margin a few times during daylight and a few times when it's dark, and if the variance is less than 3dB ask your ISP for a noise margin reset.

If it's more than 3dB, come back here instead so we can try to find out why. There's no point in getting it reset if something we could cure sends it right back up again afterwards.

Standard User dgd17
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:46:51
Print Post

ok. thanks both for your help. i will give that a go.

connection has always been fairly slow, but this is the first time i've done speedtests and stats etc so i'm don't know if it is worse than before. but also i just remembered that we had some trouble a few months ago with losing the connection repeatedly. i think the isp made some adjustments then. perhaps they would have changed the noise margin then?
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:55:28
Print Post

The wire on the ground sounds very odd. I've never heard of that before

It's not uncommon around here to see pale grey cable lying amongst the grass and weeds where OR took down T-poles going through a wooded area (rural) and left the T-poles up in open ground beside the road.

Edit > It would be odd if the OP was meaning a single wire lying beside the road though smile

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Wed 25-Apr-12 22:58:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 08:49:54
Print Post

Raising the noise margin to make it stable is usually the first thing anyone does

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to