General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User generater
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 17:55:00
Print Post

Line Fault Problem

[link to this post]

After having a steady 3.2mbs connection for the last two years it suddenly dropped to 0.3mbs ,my isp (O2) have said it is a Bt line fault and i have had 4 openreach engineer visits ,one of whom managed to connect my line to another house in the street and disconnected the BB and phone from two others for 24 hours
the latest visit yesterday resulted in Bt telling me that the fault is within the cable from the cab to the pole and as such they will not repair / replace and i have to put up with it ,O2 have tried and pleaded with openreach but they will not budge,openreach told me today that as my BB and phone is with another supplier they will not even offer any help with the line problem

as the fault is within the openreach infrastructure i would have thought they would repair the fault but it seems they can just wash their hands of faults these days ,O2 have said they will allow me to terminate my contract early with no penalty as it is neither mine or their fault but i will still have the same problem with any isp

one engineer said he was getting the full speed at the cab but after trying all spare pairs in the cable feeding the pole the fault was still there .
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 19:57:58
Print Post

Re: Line Fault Problem

[re: generater] [link to this post]

Before you forget exactly what was said to you, do make a written note of it.

Openreach should operate equally for all providers, and should not suggest that being with another provider would help.

Alas the reality is that if Openreach decide it is too expensive to fix a fault, they can deem your line as not supporting broadband. There is no legal requirement for them to provide broadband.

That said giving up is rare, and it may simple be you have a local manager in openreach who is inflexible. I would suggest escalating this by going to the top and contacting the BT Group CEO. Drop me a private message for his email address if you cannot guess it.

BTW what are router stats? If attenuation is above the 60dB mark, then it is more common for Openreach to give up on those lines.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User generater
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-12 06:24:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your help ,these are my stats for early morning ,during the day the sync speed drops until it gets to the 0.3 / 0.7 level by teatime
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 13:36:04
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 991 / 1.004
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 96,35 / 796,85
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 14,7
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 35,5 / 59,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,2 / 10,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 38.102 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 36.515.937
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 212 / 127.143
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 61 / 20.653

had i never had a faster service i would have just accepted that this is what i will get but having had 3 times this speed for the two years i have been with O2 i don't understand why it would suddenly drop so drastically ,the last engineer went as far as to suggest that the cable could have well been damaged when openreach pulled the fibre cable through the same underground ducting recently ,during all the problems with the broadband the home phone (O2 also ) has been fine with no noise or loss of service

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Apr-12 14:35:21
Print Post

This might sound strange, but does the bandwidth in those stats change when you get the low "sync"?

Any chance you could do a reconnection during daylight and take the stats immediately afterwards. Then do a speed test, and post both the stats and the speed test result?

From those stats I wouldn't expect a speed test above 845kbps anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User generater
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-12 18:15:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help ,i have posted the stats from around midday as earlier today the BB went down completely and after another 2 hour call to O2 they managed to get stable again by altering the SN margin ,whilst on the phone the router had 56 retrains ( i think that was the term he used ) which he said is very bad ,O2 firmly believe that the fault is actually in the cabinet and not in the cable .

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 6:18:04
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 667 / 838
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 27,93 / 146,89
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 14,9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 35,5 / 58,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15,3 / 13,7
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 27 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 103 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 176
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 58 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 13 / 0

the result from Speedtest.net is
Ping 48ms
Down 0.83MBPS
Up 0.54MBPS

Who is general fault and why is he reading my hard drive
Standard User generater
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 07:34:38
Print Post

Well i have emailed the CEO a polite and concise account of what happened and that openreach have just said that " i will have to live with it " and now will wait and see what happens

over the weekend i found another resident of my road who also started getting the same problem at the same time as i did ,he is also getting a low of 0.3 mbps ,so this now makes 3 of us in the same road with the same problem ,he is also willing to email the CEO if i dont get a positive response .

Standard User doleawg
(regular) Mon 30-Apr-12 17:49:59
Print Post

I had an issue with my line years ago but we all forget openreach do not provide the line to your. Openreach are a separate company, who provides you standard line to the house, BT I assume? Contact them and tell them what openreach have said.

In the end with my issues a BT line engineer found noise on the line and sorted that which in turn sorted the broadband issues.
Standard User generater
(newbie) Wed 02-May-12 11:56:49
Print Post

[re: doleawg] [link to this post]

I have been in email contact witth the CEO at BT and he says that it need's to be escalated higher within O2 ,they say they cannot go any higher so i am no nearer getting the fault fixed ,i have been given a credit on my account by O2 which will cover the cost of the next 6 month's BB but i would rather they put some pressure on Openreach to fix the problem.

Standard User doleawg
(member) Wed 02-May-12 12:09:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by generater:
I have been in email contact witth the CEO at BT and he says that it need's to be escalated higher within O2 ,they say they cannot go any higher so i am no nearer getting the fault fixed ,i have been given a credit on my account by O2 which will cover the cost of the next 6 month's BB but i would rather they put some pressure on Openreach to fix the problem.

Try do a BT silent line test (google it), if you can hear noise or any crackle then thats your issues. Its a line problem not broadband problem.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-May-12 13:08:47
Print Post

[re: doleawg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by doleawg:
In reply to a post by generater:

Try do a BT silent line test (google it), if you can hear noise or any crackle then thats your issues. Its a line problem not broadband problem.

Quiet Line Test

Unplug any extention phones, extention cables, answer machines or fax (anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket. If you are sure its the line making the noise then dial BT (or WorldOnline) and report the fault, they should be able to sort it out. Remember that 'mis-reporting' a fault (e.g. if it turns out to be your phone, extention cord etc.) may be charged a call-out fee by BT (/WOL).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to