General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 28-Apr-12 21:23:27
Print Post

Bonded ADSL at Home

[link to this post]

I currently have a single line with (Plusnet) ADSL2+ giving a speed of about 3.5meg down / 300kbps up. I also have a 3G Mifi unit which gives me about 4meg down / 500k up! (Better than the dsl if you ignore latency!)

I am considering taking up the post office deal to get a second line installed and setting up a second ADSL2+ service, then using a suitable router to load balance the two. 

I have a couple of reasons for looking at a load balanced solution (although bonded would be a better answer I don't think the extra costs are worth it).  I work from home and do a lot of video calling plus working over VPN - this is pretty poor quality as you would expect. We also use the internet on multiple devices at night so this would be a help then too (no really downloading etc just web). 

I have a few questions in regard to load balancing which I would appreciate any thoughts on:

1. Will a load balanced connection + VPN from the client machine lead to a 'bonded' output on my work network? Or will it stick to just one of the ADSL lines?

2. Will a router like the draytek vigor 2830 make sense in this scenario?

3. I have heard that some websites fall over when being accessed by multiple IPs - but no details. Does anyone have any experience of what types of sites etc?

Thanks!

AllWork
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-12 22:55:55
Print Post

Re: Bonded ADSL at Home

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

300Kbps up on ADSL2+ That doesn't sound right.

Please post your full line stats, also, which exchange are you served by ?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Apr-12 23:24:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

They default it to 448kbps unless the customer requests it be uncapped.

@OP - Get that? They will warn you that it can upset the download. That's rubbish.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Apr-12 07:45:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
300Kbps up on ADSL2+ That doesn't sound right.

Please post your full line stats, also, which exchange are you served by ?

Those figures were the actual achieved speeds via speed testers (and were 'about'). My exchange is WNBS and my stats are

Net gear 834G v1
Connection speed:
Down 6077
Up 439

Attenuation:

Down 37
Up 9.5

Noise Margin:

Down 9db
Up 22db

I have tried all the usual tricks and there are no connected extensions etc. just the router and a dect base station. I did wonder about just going for a new router but the firmware is the latest on the 834g.

Any help appreciated!

All Work
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Apr-12 07:46:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They default it to 448kbps unless the customer requests it be uncapped.

@OP - Get that? They will warn you that it can upset the download. That's rubbish.

Thanks Roberto but as I don't achieve the 448 I haven't bothered to ask about uncapping.

Cheers - AllWork
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Apr-12 08:00:07
Print Post

.... and that was my point. Syncing at 448 upstream should be the norm, and to be fair, you should be seeing a higher downstream rate at that attenuation also. Getting your ISP to reset the snr profile to 6db will squeeze more from your line.

Samknows reckons you have a 21cn enabled exchange, time to see if your ISP will provide service over this, or move to one that will. This will increase both up and download speed on your line.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Apr-12 08:18:51
Print Post

For some odd reason, on Plusnet it doesn't seem to hit the 448. Get it uncapped smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Apr-12 08:50:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
.... and that was my point. Syncing at 448 upstream should be the norm, and to be fair, you should be seeing a higher downstream rate at that attenuation also. Getting your ISP to reset the snr profile to 6db will squeeze more from your line.

Samknows reckons you have a 21cn enabled exchange, time to see if your ISP will provide service over this, or move to one that will. This will increase both up and download speed on your line.

Thanks Zarjaz - I am already on ADSL2+ and the switch gave me about another meg sync and half a meg 'real' on the speedtest. No improvement on the upload though.

I feel I should get more out of that sync etc but during the initial ADSL2 switch I got up to 13meg but it kept resynching so I guess that's why it's lower and at 9db.

AllWork
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Apr-12 09:50:09
Print Post

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/unstable_lines.html

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Apr-12 11:35:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/unstable_lines.html

Thanks for the link but I have done all the remedial work and this seems to be what I have - hence looking at load balancing or bonded. Does anyone have any experience or can offer advice on my questions?

Thanks!

AllWork
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to