General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rt2000
(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:04:08
Print Post

adding Wi-Fi to wired LAN

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have a wired LAN on which I can share files between computers, print from different computers etc. all of which can access the internet via a ICS PC and wired router. I'm happy with this and it works just fine.

I've recently added a laptop and wired this into the LAN with no problems and it does what all the others can do, however, it would be nice to be able to sit in the garden during the summer (no comments on the deluge of rain and gale force winds over the weekend please smile ) and do some work and still be able to print or share files as needed.

The laptop has wireless built in and I've been looking into how to add this via wireless. Most seem to say that a Wireless Access Point is the way to go and a few say that a Wireless Router can do the same thing.

I'm thinking the former but has anyone here done it? If the WAP is the proper way then can I simply plug this unit into my existing LAN switch? Any pointers on how to do this and tips/tricks etc. would be most welcome.

Finally, I'm assuming that there would be some kind of security built into WAP as there is with most wireless products?

... oh and would I be able to connect to my own internet service as I do with the PC's/laptop from my mobile phone so that I can get upgrades/apps direct to the phone using wireless?

Thanks in advance

Ron
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:08:53
Print Post

Re: adding Wi-Fi to wired LAN

[re: rt2000] [link to this post]

What router have you got?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:09:07
Print Post

A WAP would be the standard route as you suggest. Just plug into the existing wired lan.

Security wise yes you configure the WAP with a nice complex WPA 2 security key which is then used on the laptop to enable access.

If your mobile has wireless then yes you can connect it to the wireless network.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian007jen
(member) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:25:11
Print Post

Hello,

You will need to set a static IP address on the AP (or router) and also ensure that the current DHCP server cannot "hand out" this static address.

Ian
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:25:44
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Looks like he has a SpeedTouch 546, so yes, I agree.

Something is puzzling me though. He is using ICS and implies a separate LAN switch. The 546 has 4 ethernet ports. And maybe he happens to have ICS enabled but it is not in use.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 29-Apr-12 18:26:03)

Standard User rt2000
(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:25:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm using a SpeedTouch 546i v6 Roberto
Standard User rt2000
(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:28:03
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Glad my guessing was about right Dave smile Any suggestions on a particular model/make that isn't going to break the bank? smile
Standard User rt2000
(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:30:47
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Ian, all IP address's are static, WAN facing and LAN
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:38:28
Print Post

Depending on where it will be sited in relation to the garden, it may be just as well costwise to buy a wireless router and eliminate the need for extra kit.
Standard User alexatkin
(learned) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:38:57
Print Post

Like someone else said above, why are you using ICS if the router is already able to do that job? It seems like your configuration is far more complicated than it needs to be.

In my experience using the router itself is far more flexible than the limited set of options ICS gives you.

Now if you are using the router in modem mode and THAT is why you are using ICS, then I would recommend getting a second router to take over this job.

The reason is that a standalone WAP is pretty rare these days anyway, so if you are going to buy a new WAP to get WiFi, you might as well either get a full blown ethernet/cable router and continue to use the Speedtouch for the ADSL, or get a full ADSL2+ router and replace the Speedtouch entirely. Personally if you are happy the Speedtouch is stable, I would go for the former as I personally got better performance keeping the modem and router parts of the network on separate devices rather than having an all in one device.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to