General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:06:15
Print Post

Hyperthetical question

[link to this post]

Hi, looking at my broadband stats

Upstream 448
Downstream 554
Snr up 8
Snr down 8
Atten up 31
Atten down 63.5

It seems my up stream with an att of 31 is in a much better state than my down, and was thinking its a shame i cannot swap up and down.... Which led me to think about swapping cables 1 and 5 in my master socket(well the faceplate the adsl runs off). Can anyone explain what effect and why/why not it will not work, i cannot logically think of the answer myself.

Lee
Standard User HTTP404
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:25:31
Print Post

Re: Hyperthetical question

[re: leedsit] [link to this post]

Doesn't matter what you do with the terminals - downstream is downstream and upstream is upstream.

My down attn is 63

My down SNR is 10

My downstream is 4036 !!

Looks like you have other problems than swapping terminals.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:30:23
Print Post

[re: HTTP404] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i do have a long history of issues with my line, being a long way from the exchange but nothing can be done about that. It just got me thinking about the physical layer and how it works, think my mind is thinking one wire is send and the other receive but im guessing telephone comms doesnt work that way.

Lee

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:30:44
Print Post

[re: HTTP404] [link to this post]

At http404 your reall attenuation is probably 64dB, and the other posters more like 75dB. 63dB is the maximum many routers can display.

Swapping wont help, as both wires are already used to send the upstream and downstream already.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:36:01
Print Post

[re: leedsit] [link to this post]

Telephone is like how you are thinking, but ADSL is not.

The 31dB attenuation is lower because lower frequencies are used, and not so many of them. If you could swap the frequencies cross talk from you to others, and others to you would be a real problem too. Also upstream does not have as many freuency bands to carry the signal

Andrew

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User leedsit
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:48:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. Think i understand why it wouldnt make a difference from your replies and a little help from wiki.

Lee
  Print Thread

Jump to