General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-May-12 18:13:54
Print Post

really quick dropouts

[link to this post]

my router is a huawei echolife hg521
here are the stats:
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 448
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 16693
Line standard ADSL2+
Channel type Interleaved
Upstream SNR (dB) 28.8
Downstream SNR (dB) 12.2
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 9.5
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 15.5
Upstream output power (dBmV) 9.9
Downstream output power (dBmV) 13.7
Upstream CRC 0
Downstream CRC 199
Upstream FEC 0
Downstream FEC 5384
my provider is talk talk llu
these are relatively old stats but i had the problem when i took them and it hasn't really changed but now i sort of hav more evidence
well, i recently did the show video settings options and basically the speed fluctuates wildly from about 17 thousand down to zero, and it seems to dropout periodically, it says zero and the bar doesn't move at all and it does this rapidly like second by second and the dropouts can last quite some time.
when it is working it's working relatively quickly and will load a lot and get ahead to the end relatively quickly and i'll be able to watch the video without issues, but sometimes it will load a bit, then stop and i'll quickly get to the end of the (short) buffer and it will freeze, usually for only a second or two, but on bad days up to several minutes, it will then start up again and often it will load but on bad days will do it again and again. For some reason, if it is frozen for a long time it often helps to move the slider to an unloaded part of the video and it will start again relatively quickly, which seems strange.

also it seems to apply to Iplayer high quality to which i should be able to play. but i often can't

also it seems to happen to speed test to, whith it showing a relatively high reading, untill near the end, where it will seem to freeze and then it willfree fall consistently then it will reach the end and it will show an average of about 3
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-May-12 18:28:38
Print Post

Re: really quick dropouts

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Congestion somewhere, possibly TT, or traffic management at TT.

There's a slight possibility it is your MTU and RWIN settings. That should only be an issue on Windows XP or earlier though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-May-12 19:53:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 448
Peculiar ADSL Max type Up Sync. Surprising for ADSL2+ LLU.
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Downstream SNR (dB) 12.2
Rather high NM. Have you a noisy line and you bumped it up for stability? Hence the dropouts?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-May-12 20:51:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Downstream SNR (dB) 12.2Rather high NM. Have you a noisy line and you bumped it up for stability? Hence the dropouts?

nope well not manually
dylan
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-May-12 22:11:19
Print Post

No, not manually, but by asking ISP?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-May-12 23:59:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

nope
  Print Thread

Jump to