General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fryn
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 15:41:39
Print Post

Changing ISP - Any Truth in the promises?

[link to this post]

Hi again - you were able to help me last week regarding problems with Virginmedia - slow speeds dropping to about 1.5 or less at peak times. Have got MAC code, but as this will be my second change of ISP this year if poss I don't want to make another mistake!

Recap - very slow speeds with Virginmedia using ADSL Netgear router DN1000. Since last post Vm have done a firmware upgrade which may not have taken, as I understand from one of your other posts that the reset button on the router should have been used.......... However, seemed to work temporarily in so far as my daughter did get connection in her room for a couple of days.

Stats with router plugged into the test socket and phone disconnected:

connection speeds: 4463 and 1023.
attenuation 33.3 / 17.5
noise 9.2 / 10.7

These are very similar to the stats given last week, when phone etc were plugged in, so what does that mean?

O2 say they can provide a minimum of 7 Megs, maximum of 12 megs - big difference to what we are getting, but is this true? Vm promised the same but could never deliver.
BT guarantee minimum of 5 megs. We are about 2 kms from exchange and I reckon at least 300 metres from our nearest cabinet, living in South London so a lot of intervening properties. O2 also talk about being able to throttle the service to individual houses if someone is using excessive downloading during peak times. Any truth in that?

Vm now think there may be a router problem - this may be correct as I have noticed that the router plug 'hums', wherever it is plugged in. Is very quiet hum so has not been uppermost in the mind, but I guess it may be significant.

Thanks again for your help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 15:45:52
Print Post

Re: Changing ISP - Any Truth in the promises?

[re: Fryn] [link to this post]

12 Meg is about right for 33dB attenuation. Issue that has not been proven 100% is why you only get a 4.4Meg connection now, possible Virgin Media is limiting you, but until you change provider no way of knowing.

A hum can often be no problem, but it may also be a problem, would need to take router around to a good known line for testing.

Which exchange you on, and what sort of usage allowance do you need?

On the o2 throttling, what they have tried to explain to you very poorly is that they use traffic management on their service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fryn
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 16:07:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Catford - Rushey Green exchange, but we are right on the edge of the area, so far as I can gauge - SE23 1PS.

Maximum usage at any one time would be for streaming to smart TV, plus two computers on line/downloading (young adults in the house).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 16:16:45
Print Post

33dB attenuation says your line length is under 3km to the exchange. So a long way from the edge of ADSL reach.

In which case as its Catford you have your choice of any provider who sells ADSL2+

Down to price/usage. Sky if unlimited and cheap is what you want.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-May-12 23:41:56
Print Post

Which O2 package are you considering? It matters, because of the traffic management.

Do you realise you should be able to get FTTC there, at 3 or 4 times those estimates?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Fryn
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 12:19:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No to fibre optic. I have been keeping an eye on BT website for about a year now. They have been promising Infinity on a 3-months time basis for over a year. I have registered an interest but heard nothing. Current promise is for end of June, but I guess that will shift again. We do seem to attract bb problems, but I don't know why. When we moved to Vm in February we had no telephone and no internet for two weeks after activation. Fault seems to have been with BT - something about a short circuit at at the exchange. Since then of course the really low speeds. Over the last two years BT engineers have had to come out twice for various line problems - each time it took about three weeks to get anything done. We also do not have cable - in our part of London it did not come north of the South Circular!
Standard User Fryn
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 12:25:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am considering the all-rounder O2 package. Traffic management might benefit us if it does what it says on the tin ie limit other people's illegal usage if that is causing our slow speeds. My son does more downloading, but he is at uni for half the year. The family think we ought to have BT because of the TV option and because it cuts out the middle man if we continue to have issues, which is certainly a consideration! Sky is out of the question because of certain management issues, not unrelated to the Leveson enquiry!
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-May-12 12:34:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fryn:
The family think we ought to have BT because of the TV option and because it cuts out the middle man if we continue to have issues, which is certainly a consideration!

"cutting out middle man" isn't true - separate parts of BT which are not allowed to give others preferential treatment.

As for fibre what does this checker say:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !
Standard User Fryn
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 12:54:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes - FTCC to our cabinet by 30 June 2012. However, I understand that the further the house is from the cabinet theslower the speed which can be achieved as the fibre optic part is provided to the cabinet only. The line will support FTCC but does that mean the telephone line to the house, or just to the cabinet? There is no cabinet in our street, but I have identified three cabinets between 300 and 350 metres away.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-May-12 13:21:36
Print Post

FTTC should pretty much be a factor of several times faster than ADSL2+

If the line supports it, they mean the line to the house.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... suggests 30 to 40 Mbps, and http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php can give you the multiplier to get a different estimate

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to