General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-May-12 16:04:20
Print Post

Router/ laptops problem

[link to this post]

We use three or four laptops, on the internet, all by wifi. Recently we have been having a problem. The problem does not always happen but usually happens about twice a day. When we turn on the laptops one of the laptops will not connect to the internet. Usually the answer is to turn off the router, wait 20 seconds then turn back on again, then usually all is well until we turn off the laptops for an hour or so then it all starts again. As I have said, sometimes all the laptops work fine. Any ideas?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-May-12 16:08:20
Print Post

Re: Router/ laptops problem

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What O/Ss?

Try switch uPnP off on router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-May-12 16:15:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Two windows 7. One vista. It also happens with an ipad we have. It can be anyone of the laptops that it happens to.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-May-12 16:18:46
Print Post

Do any of the machines use torrents/P2P? They can open so many ports that they end up making the router unusable (and I think that may be why xray is suggesting turning off UPNP).
Standard User greenglide
(member) Tue 08-May-12 16:43:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

DHCP problems?

Assuming that the router is acting as a DHCP server are there any fixed IP addresses set by any of the laptops or the router?

Maybe it is working until a DHCP lease expires?

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-May-12 18:14:45
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Poster: ian72
Subject: Re: Router/ laptops problem
Do any of the machines use torrents/P2P? They can open so many ports that they end up making the router unusable (and I think that may be why xray is suggesting turning off UPNP).

No torrent sites etc.

In reply to a post by greenglide:
DHCP problems?

Assuming that the router is acting as a DHCP server are there any fixed IP addresses set by any of the laptops or the router?

Maybe it is working until a DHCP lease expires?

We have not given any of the laptops a fixed IP address.. The router is from o2 & set by them. We have been with o2 for about 4 years with no problems until recently. They changed the router, but still the problem.

Not sure what you mean by the last statement.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-May-12 08:40:50
Print Post

To check the IP addressing go to a command prompt on a Windows PC and run "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and note down the details (a screen grab would probably be easiest as there will be a lot there).

Do this when the device is working and again when it stops working and compare the 2. That should give an idea of whether it is the devices IP address that is causing the issue.

Also, when it is failing try pinging the router (the IP Address of the router will be listed as the "Gateway Address" within the ipconfig results). In case you don't know to run a ping go to a command prompt again and type :

ping [ip address]

ie ping 192.168.0.1

See if you get responses of if the ping fails. If the ping fails you are losing communication with the router.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-May-12 12:56:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for the help. I have made a screen grab & now await the connection to fail again.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-May-12 08:53:21
Print Post

I have one person who plays a game/games on his computer. Is it possible this could be the problem?
If it is what can I do to stop the problem.
I read up a little on 'uPnP'. We use Messenger & a few other similar services & it seems turning off the 'uPnP' could cause problems with this?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-May-12 09:24:53
Print Post

uPnP nowt to do with Messenger and its ilk.

Why not try it and see? Nowt ventured, nowt gained.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to