General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-May-12 08:56:35
Print Post

Problems getting a 2nd line installed

[link to this post]

I wanted a 2nd line since I have a shared flat so my flatmate had his own line and internet.

Ordered a new line and the engineer came out and said he would use the old line though I told him I wanted a NEW line(which is what I ordered and paid for online)

So I cancelled order and went with another company anyway then I got the same engineer who told me same thing, he was friendly but he told me he would just take over the new line!

I do live in a old flat on 3rd floor but surely I can get a new line?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-May-12 09:12:54
Print Post

Re: Problems getting a 2nd line installed

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

BT is under no obligation to run a new cable (which usually carries 2 or 3 phone lines) to your property, and is under no obligation to provide a second line at all to a property.

The new line you have ordered, will be delivered over a different pair in the same black outer cable. In short your flat already has 2 or more lines coming to it, just that it all needs wiring up.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-May-12 09:18:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, sorry I was not aware of that I just went by the fact a few years ago when I got a new line into property they connected it to the pole outside the flat and dropped a cable out my window.

So if two lines are entering property why do you think he keeps saying he can just take over old line/use existing wiring, when both times I asked him for a new socket and told him we had an existing line we just wanted 2.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-May-12 09:19:43
Print Post

Also if it was down to lack of cabling my downstairs neighbours who have lived there 5 years have never had a phone line activated(but have socket).
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 11-May-12 09:43:56
Print Post

the bit of cable coming into the property will contain enough bits of wire to run at least two telephone lines.

so he doesn't need to run a new bit of cable to provide an extra line, and there will be a socket dedicated to the new line.

just let them do their job and stop overthinking it !

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-May-12 09:49:16
Print Post

You may be confusing the engineer.

Its as simple as

1. Engineer confirming that both telephone numbers will work
2. That the existing broadband service will not be affected.

They may not fit a new socket, there are dual telephone sockets, where left hand socket is one number fed to by 2 wires, and the right hand one is another number fed by a two different wires.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-May-12 09:59:04
Print Post

Well I let him get on with job but only got 1 socket, but I just rang my old number from mobile and it rings out but my phone doesnt ring.

So I am a bit more confused especially when my router works with my flatmates isp(despite showing his isp on speedtest)

So I have a new number and old number, both ring but only new one goes through to my phone.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-May-12 10:01:27
Print Post

What did you order?

I suspect that what has happened is that you ordered and they thought you wanted to a new number to take over the existing line, i.e. as if the previous person had moved out and you had moved in.

Did you simply order a second phone line for the property?

Time to dig back through any paperwork you got, and ensure that what was ordered was correct.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-May-12 10:16:23
Print Post

Same as the previous order, on both checkers it says "this address already has an active line" then I click I want a NEW line and the checkers give messages that a new line costs them X amount from BT but they discount it to a certain amount.

Thats why when the engineer said I already had a line I mentioned we wanted a NEW line but both times he mentioned about the wiring coming in from exchange there and was a certain length.

Even the text reminders and email order say NEW line not taking over.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-May-12 10:56:25
Print Post

"Thats why when the engineer said I already had a line I mentioned we wanted a NEW line but both times he mentioned about the wiring coming in from exchange there and was a certain length."

That bit makes no sense, and sounds like a mangled explanation. Both lines would most likely follow the same route from the exchange, and arrive in the property on the same bundle of wires.

Have you queried the install with the voice provider?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to